Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

FISHEYE FIX UWL04 vs INON UWL100 with DOME UNIT

Started by romeo ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

FISHEYE FIX UWL04 vs INON UWL100 with DOME UNIT

8 posts
  1. As title...

     

    need some advices,because I'm going to buy one of them.

     

    Thinking to use it with my Canon G10 in Patima Housing with 67mm Port.

     

    Thanks for the eventually answers.(and hoping that I write it correctly in english,because I'm not so fine with it)

     

    Bye from Italy

     

    romeo

  2. As title...

     

    need some advices,because I'm going to buy one of them.

     

    Thinking to use it with my Canon G10 in Patima Housing with 67mm Port.

     

    Thanks for the eventually answers.(and hoping that I write it correctly in English,because I'm not so fine with it)

     

    Bye from Italy

     

    romeo

     

    I cannot answer the suitability of these lenses with the Patima housing, however, I have been shooting the Inon 100WAL with dome for several years. The Inon lens/dome assembly is extremely high quality construction, optical coated glass throughout and consequentially quite hefty. The Inon dome is about 5 inches, the UL-04 is about 6 inches. The UL-04 is a plastic dome with a hard coated surface and supposedly an optical coating on the inside.

     

    The Fisheye specs state that the UL-04 is a .42X lens with a native FOV of 131 degrees diagonal. The Inon 100WAL with dome is also a .42X lens with a native FOV of 130 degrees diagonal. The rear lens element of the UL-04 is about 38mm diameter, the Inon 100WAL is about 43mm diameter for what that might matter.

     

    The Inon lens is designed for a 35mm camera lens assuming an approximately 3X zoom ratio and for the UL-04 I think but am not sure that it was designed for a 28mm lens.

     

    The Inon lens is a 67mm threaded attachment, the UL-04 is a 52mm threaded attach with a 67mm step ring included.

     

    The Inon combo costs nearly twice that of the UL-04.

     

    I really want a UL-04 to play with my new S90/FIX but I think the Inon 165AD fisheye compact lens has them both beat as I am shooting it and the Inon 100WAL plus dome in the pool, the Inon 165AD-FE is notably wider and sharper, the domed 100WAL combo has better color saturation. My opinion, hope this helps you out.

     

    James

  3. Have you tried the Inon 100wal or other lens with a 67mm mount with a camera with a 28mm equivalent lens?

     

    I am trying to find out if it produces vignetting when a 28mm equivalent lens is at its widest angle. I need to avoid vignetting, and am having difficulty finding a suitable lens. Most wet mount lenses are made for 35mm equivalent cameras and do produce vignetting with 28mm equivalent lenses. However, I am wondering if a lens with a sufficiently wide back side to the camera would overcome this.

    Edited by SDBill
  4. Have you tried the Inon 100wal or other lens with a 67mm mount with a camera with a 28mm equivalent lens?

     

    I am trying to find out if it produces vignetting when a 28mm equivalent lens is at its widest angle. I need to avoid vignetting, and am having difficulty finding a suitable lens. Most wet mount lenses are made for 35mm equivalent cameras and do produce vignetting with 28mm equivalent lenses. However, I am wondering if a lens with a sufficiently wide back side to the camera would overcome this.

     

    I use INON 100 WAL Type One on Fisheye Fix housing for Canon S90. That took an extras adaptor ring. They made it real clear I had to zoom out to avoid vignetting. Turns out that is one notch with S90 to 35mm EFL since camera zooms in steps. S90 without WAL zooms to 24 EFL. But I don't do a lot of zooming underwater.

     

    I have had the lens for years and it works fine on both Ikelite and now Fisheye housings.

  5. Have you tried the Inon 100wal or other lens with a 67mm mount with a camera with a 28mm equivalent lens?

     

    I am trying to find out if it produces vignetting when a 28mm equivalent lens is at its widest angle. I need to avoid vignetting, and am having difficulty finding a suitable lens. Most wet mount lenses are made for 35mm equivalent cameras and do produce vignetting with 28mm equivalent lenses. However, I am wondering if a lens with a sufficiently wide back side to the camera would overcome this.

     

     

    See my response above, yes the lens will work, yes it will vignette unless zoomed to 35mm EFL with the FIX90 and S90 camera, works great, love it.

     

    James

  6. As title...

     

    need some advices,because I'm going to buy one of them.

     

    Thinking to use it with my Canon G10 in Patima Housing with 67mm Port.

     

    Thanks for the eventually answers.(and hoping that I write it correctly in english,because I'm not so fine with it)

     

    Bye from Italy

     

    romeo

     

    The matter with the Patima housing is that it's really heavy underwater ..

    With the Uwl-100 and dome unit it's really too much heavy ..

    I had a G9 with the Uwl-100 and dome and experienced also some vignetting at 35 mm.

    Now I have the S90 with Fix housing and the Uwl- 04 and I'm really happy with it .

    But I don't know if you will not experienced vignetting with the G10 in Patima housing ???

    You can see some of my wide angle pics at :

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7189548@N05/s...57623940237453/

     

    all the wide angle pics have been taken with the S 90 at 28 mm.

    Hope it helps :)

  7. See my response above, yes the lens will work, yes it will vignette unless zoomed to 35mm EFL with the FIX90 and S90 camera, works great, love it.

     

    James

     

    I ended up getting the Inon UWL-100 to use with my Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 and Olympus PT-048 housing. It does have slight vignetting for the still photos at the widest aperature, but not with video. Overall, I am pleased with this lens. The wide back glass on the lens (43mm) helps reduce vignetting (I had borrowed an older and much larger and heavier Olympus lens that had a 50mm back glass that did not produce any vignetting in the water, but that lens was too large and too heavy to be practical - and it is not readily available). I use a single off the shelf 52mm to 67mm step ring to mount the UWL-100 on the housing.

     

    By the way, the 8010 camera does not allow for simple, precise stepping, in that you may zoom more than one step at a time. However, I found out that if you set the camera to supermacro mode, it zooms in just a few steps, and then if you switch back to normal focus or macro focus, it stays at the same zoomed in step location that it went to in supermacro mode. Therefore, this is a way to zoom to a fixed level with that camera that is not too narrow and avoids vignetting with this lens.

     

    SDBill

    Edited by SDBill
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.