Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

TTL/Manual Twin Strobe arrangement

Started by giftie ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

TTL/Manual Twin Strobe arrangement

5 posts
  1. Hi again,

    I am trying to figure out the most flexible arrangement with twin Ds-125s for use with teh Fuji S2, can you tell if the following makes any practical sense or if you would recommend another set-up altogether.

     

    1st Ds-125 connected to the bulkhead

    2nd Ds-125 with Ike's manual controller (either not connected, connected to the dual cord, or connected to 2nd bulkhead) to be able to fine tune the power.

     

    This will allow me to shoot TTL with first strobe (strobe switch on TTL). Depending on the setting of the 2nd strobe, the first strobe will act as main or as a fill-in strobe depending on the total light the cameras sees from the 2 strobes.

     

    If I switch the 1st strobe to manual, I am in full manual mode and I can fine tune the power on the 2nd strobe.

     

    But in practical terms, is the manual controller really a plus? I can change strobe-to-subject distance (sometimes) or use the manual power settings in the 2nd strobe, correct? Although, I am more limited than with the manual controller.

     

    As a disadvantage I can not use both strobes on TTL, which I could if I would drop Ike's manual controller, right?

     

    Last Q, if i decide just to take 1 strobe, can I still take the dual cord with the 2nd strobe connector with the cap on? (Ike does not advise to use the 2 bulkheads for TTL?)

    Or should I buy a separate one (expensive things those sync cords)?

     

    Sorry for the long post guys.

     

    Jorge

  2. Hi Jorge,

     

    Did you know that the DS125's already have FOUR manual power settings right on them, in addition to the TTL? Full power, 1/2 (-1stop), 1/4 (-2stop), 1/8 (-3stop).

     

    So you can hook them up to your S2 with a dual sync cord, use one in TTL and the other at manual. I do that sometimes for macro, one in TTL and one at 1/2 power for fill.

     

    The Ike manual controller has fractional power settings, so you can go down 1 1/2 stops if you really want, but I don't think you really need that. Just bump your f-stop up from f22 to f27 or if you're shooting wide, from f8 to f9.5, etc. You get the picture, right?

     

    The manual controllers are nice though, as they put the strobe power control "at your fingertips" instead of 2' away on the end of your strobe arm.

     

    So - try not to make this too confusing - remember, keep it simple! You can always start out by buying just the strobes. Learn how to shoot them first before going to more kit.

     

    As for sync cords, my opinion is you should ALWAYS have at least one extra. So if you get one strobe, start with a single sync cord or two. If you get a second strobe, you can purchase a dual cord, and then you will have a second (or even third) cord. You can cap the bare end of a dual cord w/ Ike's supplied cap I believe.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Thanks James for the advice. I know the DS-125 can do both (manual and TTL), its a good strobe and I already use one with my current set-up, I was just trying to figure out if it is really worth/needed such manual controller.

    I have to say that would prefer to have the control at my fingertips (like in the light and motion housing) but it is an expensive luxury that I can not afford at the moment.

    Better to keep it simple like you said then having around all these controls to play with, which in the end divert your attention from what is really important.

    Thanks again.

  4. ...oops

  5. Jorge,

     

    Look to the right above your posting and you should see a box that says "Edit"

     

    Try it!

     

    Cheers

    James

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.