Critter Identification / Archived topic
Small cuttlefish, Lembeh Strait, Indonesia
Started by echeng ·
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
Small cuttlefish, Lembeh Strait, Indonesia
-
-
Eric, I classified my footage of these as Sepia bandensis.
-
i always call them crinoid cuttlefish sepia sp. haha, that helps eh?
-
Need ID help on this little cuttlefish in Lembeh Strait, Indonesia. I've seen them before -- they typically are on the reef attached to something (and camouflaged). This one was walking around on two of its front arms. It was about 1.5 inches long.
Eric, I have seen a lot of these at the Giant Clams & Manila Channel dive sites in Sabang Mindoro. The locan dive master said they were Juveniles of the regular adult cuttle fish. I know my classification "regular adult cuttle fish" leaves a lot to be desired. But on occasions I have watched them for 30 minutes or more, and like the color the skin texture seems to be something the fish cuttle fish controls, sometimes the bumps melt into the flesh of the cuttle fish and parts of him become smooth.
-
I agree with Nick, they are Sepia bandensis or something very similar. They are not juveniles of any "normal" cuttlefish.
Regards
Bent C