Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Can I use Sea&Sea MDX 40D with EOS 50D

Started by shaharp ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Can I use Sea&Sea MDX 40D with EOS 50D

8 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    After the drowning of my EOS40D, I heard that I can use the newer Canon EOS 50D with the same housing (Sea&Sea MDX 40D)

     

    Short search in the site, and I did saw some publishes that the 50D can use that housing, but only as a small reference and not as a definite.

    Looking in DigiDeep and I saw that this housing is only for the 40D.

     

    Can any one, please tell me if that S&S housing support the EOS50D as well? is that a full support or there are some buttons that will not work? does those buttons important or redundant under water?

     

    Thanks in advanced

    Shahar

  2. Yes you can use the 50D in the 40D housing....I'm thinking there might be an unimportant button that won't work, but I got rid of my housing so I can't check it out for you.

     

    Good luck and if your in need I have a used 40D and 50D for sale.

     

    Mike

  3. Yes, that is what I am currently shooting with.

     

    The "unimportant button" is the live view.

  4. thanks guys...

     

    does the 50D worth the extra cash?

  5. 15.0 Mega pixels vrs 10 (Really nice if you ever need to crop or make really large prints)

    Digic 4 processer vrs Digic 3 (A noticeable difference)

    920,000 dots on the LCD vrs 230,000 (Big difference underwater)

     

    Yep I'd say so, both need good glass to really shine. There is always the 7D if you want the movie mode. :drink:

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  6. 15.0 Mega pixels vrs 10 (Really nice if you ever need to crop or make really large prints)

    Digic 4 processer vrs Digic 3 (A noticeable difference)

    920,000 dots on the LCD vrs 230,000 (Big difference underwater)

     

    Yep I'd say so, both need good glass to really shine. There is always the 7D if you want the movie mode. :drink:

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Steve,

     

    The specs are one thing, but the reviews don't necessarily bear it out. Have a look here:

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page31.asp

     

    A quote:

     

    "We're by no means saying the 50Ds image quality is bad but it's simply not significantly better than the ten megapixel 40D. In some areas such as dynamic range and high ISO performance it's actually worse and that simply makes you wonder if the EOS 50D could have been an (even) better camera if its sensor had a slightly more moderate resolution.

     

    The EOS 50D has to stand its ground in a highly competitive bracket of the DSLR market. It is currently almost $500 more expensive than the 40D, almost $500 more expensive than the Nikon D90 and for an extra $100 you can bag yourself a Nikon D300. Looking at the specification differences between the EOS 40D and our test candidate it appears you pay quite a premium for the 50D's extra megapixels and as we've found out during this review you don't get an awful lot of extra image quality for your money. "

     

    Dated pricing info but a good summary of why I stuck with the my 40D bodies.

     

    Mike

  7. After I read the review my initial thought was that whoever wrote it was just disappointed that the 50D wasn't as good as they were hoping it would be and were lashing out at Canon for that disappointment.

     

    We're by no means saying the 50Ds image quality is bad but it's simply not significantly better than the ten megapixel 40D.
    So what they're really saying is the 50D's IQ IS actually better than the 40D's (but possibly not as big an improvement as they were hoping for :drink: )

     

    Reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to EOS 40D
    The dynamic range of the 50D is better at the bright end. The results I've achieved shooting sunballs with both cameras confirms the 50D is clearly better than the 40D at the bright end.

     

    Per-pixel detail not as good as on good 10 or 12 megapixel cameras
    Lots more pixels in the 50D so even though per pixel detail is not as good over detail is better (Seems like the writer is trying to turn a positive into a negative in this statement). Once again comparing the results I've got with both cameras the 50D has better resolution than the 40D.
  8. Hi Mike,

    I'm with Gudge, if you had to make the choice today between the 40D at around $650 to $750 US used (current ebay prices) or pick up a new 50D for $800 to $900 US I'd go with the 50D and be very happy. The LCD added detail would be enough for me to choose the 50D all by itself. (Since I spend too much time chimping :drink: )

     

    Both are wonderful cameras, especially for the money now. Shahar can't go too far wrong either way.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.