I have a Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, and 100mm macro (new L series) and am going to be getting an Underwater setup for it. I am a fairly inexperienced UW photographer, having done three dive trips now with my G9 setup (Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS-51 Strobe, Inon UWL-100 WA lens).
My initial thought was to go with an Ikelite setup for the 7D. I like how their TTL works seemlessly with their flashes, so I was thinking I would get the housing, ports for the 10-17mm and 100mm and the Ikelite 8" dome. For a strobe, I was thinking I'd start with an Ikelite DS-161 (love that it serves as a dual-purpose strobe and video light, so I can take advantage of the 7D's HD capabilities), and later expand to two DS-161s as money permits.
However, I don't want to jump into this purchase and I have probably 5-6 months until my next dive trip, so I have some time. I'm wondering what the advantages are of the much pricier housings by Nauticam, Sea & Sea, etc.? I know they are machined out of metal, which makes them a bit more rugged, and they are rated to greater depth, but these advantages aren't really necessary for me. What else is there? TIA.