Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

short cut to white ballance for canon 7d ?

Started by chriscourt ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

short cut to white ballance for canon 7d ?

15 posts
  1. Hi, i have recently got a 7d and it seems a bit long winded to set the custom white ballance having to access it via the menu functions.

    Does anyone know of a short cut ?

    My old camera had a button which could be programed to take you straight to wb, i havent found one on my 7d yet ?

    any suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. Don't think there is anything mate. My 40D was the same as the 7D, in both cases it's a bit of a pain to go through taking a photo and setting it from there, I know.

     

    Ryan.

  3. As Aussie said, I think you are going to have to go through the whole rigmarole every time, on my 350D, 20D, 5D, 1DMkIIN and 1DsMkII it is the same :dance: a bit of a pain but the results are worth it :drink: Maybe a note to Canon for consideration in their next model??

    Edited by Tjsnapper
  4. on my 350D, 20D, 5D, 1DMkIIN and 1DsMkII

     

    Maybe the world 'all' would have sufficed....show off!!!!

    :drink:

  5. Hi, i have recently got a 7d and it seems a bit long winded to set the custom white ballance having to access it via the menu functions.

    Does anyone know of a short cut ?

    My old camera had a button which could be programed to take you straight to wb, i havent found one on my 7d yet ?

    any suggestions would be appreciated.

     

     

    Looks like the 7D has the same Joystick button that my 5D MkII has...press that button and go to custom white balance. Quicker than pressing the menu button, which is what it sounds like what your trying to do.

     

    Mike

  6. Looks like the 7D has the same Joystick button that my 5D MkII has...press that button and go to custom white balance. Quicker than pressing the menu button, which is what it sounds like what your trying to do.

     

    Mike

     

    Hi Mike, thanks for trying but no joy with my 7D. besides there isnt a button for the joystick on the housing.

     

    Chris

  7. thanks all, looks like being lazy is not an option.

     

    Chris

  8. Maybe the world 'all' would have sufficed....show off!!!!

    :drink:

    LOL

    However they are all getting old and well used so need to replace them .. and that is the scary part, have you seen the price of the new ones??? :dance:

  9. I haven't played with the 7D in a housing yet but I've been thinking that the custom functions can provide some help to the WB settings. The 7D gives us the ability to change the buttons function in a limited way. I've set up my camera so that the set button brings up the menu when in shooting mode. (The default is no function) The other change is to put the WB 1st on the My Menu list. This way the only button you need (Set) is right under your thumb and it's reasonably quick. You shoot a white balance image, press set to bring up the menu, press set to select Custom WB from the My Menu list, press set to select the image, scroll to OK and press set, press set again to confirm OK, then the shutter half press to get back to shooting mode. I'm thinking that in practise this would be reasonably fast. Just hit set 5 times. Both the Nauticam and Aquatica but the Set button right under your thumb so it ought to work. Guessing the others will too.

     

    Hope this makes sense, it's much easy to do than to explain.

     

    Steve

  10. I haven't played with the 7D in a housing yet but I've been thinking that the custom functions can provide some help to the WB settings. The 7D gives us the ability to change the buttons function in a limited way. I've set up my camera so that the set button brings up the menu when in shooting mode. (The default is no function) The other change is to put the WB 1st on the My Menu list. This way the only button you need (Set) is right under your thumb and it's reasonably quick. You shoot a white balance image, press set to bring up the menu, press set to select Custom WB from the My Menu list, press set to select the image, scroll to OK and press set, press set again to confirm OK, then the shutter half press to get back to shooting mode. I'm thinking that in practise this would be reasonably fast. Just hit set 5 times. Both the Nauticam and Aquatica but the Set button right under your thumb so it ought to work. Guessing the others will too.

     

    Hope this makes sense, it's much easy to do than to explain.

     

    Steve

     

     

    Steve,

    I'm surprised the housing mfgs. don't allow access to the joystick. I can change all settings that are important underwater... WB, ISO, Aperture, SS, etc. using the 4 buttons on the housing that control the joystick. Quick and easy!

    What housing did you get or have you got one yet?

     

    Mike

  11. Steve,

    I'm surprised the housing mfgs. don't allow access to the joystick. I can change all settings that are important underwater... What housing did you get or have you got one yet?

     

    Mike

     

    Hi Mike,

    The joystick buttons would still work. I'm just trying to figure a way that I don't have to take my hand off the handle. I'm all thumbs anyway. :drink:

     

    Still looking at the options,

    Steve

  12. Hi Mike,

    The joystick buttons would still work. I'm just trying to figure a way that I don't have to take my hand off the handle. I'm all thumbs anyway. :dance:

     

    Still looking at the options,

    Steve

    Roger that Steve,

     

    With my S&S housing and 5D MK II I'm able to hold the right handle with the tips of my fingers and control the joystick with my thumb....maybe you just need longer fingers? :drink:

     

    What housing did you get?

     

    Mike

  13. I haven't played with the 7D in a housing yet but I've been thinking that the custom functions can provide some help to the WB settings. The 7D gives us the ability to change the buttons function in a limited way. I've set up my camera so that the set button brings up the menu when in shooting mode. (The default is no function) The other change is to put the WB 1st on the My Menu list. This way the only button you need (Set) is right under your thumb and it's reasonably quick. You shoot a white balance image, press set to bring up the menu, press set to select Custom WB from the My Menu list, press set to select the image, scroll to OK and press set, press set again to confirm OK, then the shutter half press to get back to shooting mode. I'm thinking that in practise this would be reasonably fast. Just hit set 5 times. Both the Nauticam and Aquatica but the Set button right under your thumb so it ought to work. Guessing the others will too.

     

    Hope this makes sense, it's much easy to do than to explain.

     

    Steve

    Thanks Steve, i'll give it a go.

    i've got the ikelite housing, has all other buttons except the joystick.

  14. Thanks Steve, i'll give it a go.

    i've got the ikelite housing, has all other buttons except the joystick.

    i MANAGED TO GET IT WORKING, THANKS. :)

  15. Yeah, I'd second adding the WB function to your MyMenu page if you don't like to navigate the Menu each time.

     

    As for the housing, as has been mentioned, some manufacturers DO allow access, and I imagine all would if even only by request. My Hugyfot, for example, offers buttons for all camera functions by default (with exception to DoF [unnecessary] and flash popup [also unnecessary since if you're using optically-syncing strobes, you'll have popped it up while installing the camera in the housing]).

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.