Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Back from the Galapagos!!!

Started by jnsgonda ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Back from the Galapagos!!!

4 posts
  1. Hey gang,

     

    Flew in from the Galapagos a few days ago. Great trip overall. Spent 2 nights in Quito, 4 nights in Puerto Ayorra on Santa Cruz (Galapagos) then one week on the Aggressor I.

     

    We spent, in order, one day at Wolf (with night dive), 3 days at Darwin, one day at wolf, then 2 dives at Cousin's Rock with land excursion at North Seymour in afternoon. I'm happy we spent time in Puerto Ayorra as the rest of the passengers never made it there on this trip. Can't imagine going to the Galapagos and not seeing a giant Tortoise.

     

    The diving was amazing. 1000's of hammerheads, dolphins above and below on every dive at Wolf and Darwin, turtles, 3 Mantas and the usual as stated by others. Only (very big) bummer was only one Whale Shark by me, 2 by others on same dive (including my wife who ditched me after chasing after the first!!!). Suprisingly, the temps increased dramatically at Wolf and Darwin (79-80 degrees at depth) and no current to speak of. The temp in the south at Cousin's Rock was 76 degrees. The 12-24mm worked well in the ike housing with my S2. I used it almost entirely waiting for another appearance by Mr. Big.

     

    I'll get around to writing a detailed report of the trip with pictures. There are a few crucial details about organizing land "day tours" out of Puerto Ayorra which I wish I would have known.

     

    Can't wait to return,

     

    John

  2. Welcome back!

     

    Glad to hear you had a good trip. I for one will be very interested to hear your thoughts and observations on day tripping out of Puerto Ayora, next time I hope to spend at least 4-5 days in the Puerto Ayora/land trip mode before diving, as I really wanted to spend way more time shooting above water than circumstances allowed.

     

    At least you saw a whale shark, and weren't totally skunked.

  3. Welcome back. Can't wait to see your photos!

     

    I'm taking my new rig out there on the Deep Blue on Nov 7 for a week. :D

  4. PIXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.