Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

7D - now submerged!

Started by vetdiver ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

7D - now submerged!

18 posts
  1. I finally got my 7D in the water Friday and again yesterday, braving terrible vis and (yesterday) surf that I probably shouldn't have...I got clobbered on the way out a little bit! I have a few specific things that I'm figuring out with the housing (need a new zoom gear for my 10-17, for instance), but having shot only a 20D, the 7D is a revelation. Sunbursts are apparently no problem at all (my first effort, really - I can't wait to practice more!) and that sucker focused FAST yesterday through a 100mm lens and Macro Mate, despite very dark conditions, 8 ft vis, and ridiculous surge.

     

    ;) - life is good!!!!

     

    809887975_ddjbf-L.jpg

     

    809874534_wMUKY-M.jpg

  2. Ah at last!

     

    Great shots Alison-look forward to more.

     

    Adam

  3. Excellent news, I am sure you will enjoy the upgrade ;) I look forward to seeing more.

  4. Very nice. I'm interested in hearing more as I shoot a 20D and will be upgrading soon. Looking forward to you posting more about your experiences.

  5. Congrats Allison! I look forward to hearing more too.

     

    You have the first Subal 7D I've heard of hitting the water. How does it feel?

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

  6. SWEET! We will have to celebrate again, this time about DEEP ;) San Diego in da house!

     

    Phil

  7. SWEET! We will have to celebrate again, this time about DEEP ;) San Diego in da house!

     

    Phil

     

     

    Oh, Phil, last night was priceless.... "Are you waiting for something?" "Yes!" "Me, too!!!!" San Diego, represent!!!!! Seriously, what are the chances? We will have to get our signed Wyland books together :)

     

    (Phil was at our place for dinner last night and we were both waiting to see the DEEP results, too funny....)

     

    I have lots more to say about the camera and housing - the Subal is a-mazing. My only beef with it is that the on/off switch is a bit of a bear, especially with 7 mm gloves. However, a dive or two got me past that - everything else is very nicely situated - I have pretty small hands and can reach everything with a finger still on the shutter.

     

    Elaine - one thing you will love is the fact that you no longer have to look at the top window of the camera to see your settings - you can have them displayed on the LCD whenever the camera is not reviewing. I know the 50d (and the 40??) have that, but since I never shot one, I was stuck trying to squint through the top window UW. And seriously - focusing so fast, your socks will be summarily knocked off. I am totally in luuuvvvv.

  8. NICE!!! Seeing these photos makes the waiting worth while ;)

  9. Nice photos, upload more if you have it! Can`T wait to take my in the abyss...

  10. Alison,

     

    If you do truly have the 1st Subal 7D setup, can we have a pic of it to lust over?

     

    Olly

  11. Congrats and welcome to the crowd.

     

    I've only had mine in the water a few times but have been pretty happy so far. Bring on the GBR next month!!!

  12. Olly, my rig is set up for a dive tomorrow before work, and I haven't bought my backup body yet, so I can't take a pic right now - but I will ;) - the housing is still shiny and pretty for now...

     

    Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention - my magnifying viewfinder hasn't been transferred yet, as it requires a different washer or something - if anyone is in the same boat, make sure you specifically mention this to ensure the right parts come in with the housing. That said, the 100% viewfinder on the 7D as compared to the 20D - wow - let's just say it hasn't bothered me much not to have the magnification yet, though I am excited for when I will have it!

    Edited by vetdiver
  13. Olly, my rig is set up for a dive tomorrow before work, and I haven't bought my backup body yet, so I can't take a pic right now - but I will ;) - the housing is still shiny and pretty for now...

     

    Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention - my magnifying viewfinder hasn't been transferred yet, as it requires a different washer or something - if anyone is in the same boat, make sure you specifically mention this to ensure the right parts come in with the housing. That said, the 100% viewfinder on the 7D as compared to the 20D - wow - let's just say it hasn't bothered me much not to have the magnification yet, though I am excited for when I will have it!

    Which version of the 100mm are you using Alison?

  14. Congrats Allison!! I look forward to seeing more pics.

  15. Which version of the 100mm are you using Alison?

     

    The old style one!!! I just ordered my backup body in prep for some upcoming trips and even with months of saving and trying to shore dive instead of boat dive and putting off having one drysuit repaired, I am damned broke (as opposed to regular broke) ;) My boyfriend was just trying to convince me to get a topside zoom lens, and I actually laughed at him.... Maybe next year!!

  16. If it`s not problem can you send some pictures of whole setup?

     

    Thank you

  17. The old style one!!! I just ordered my backup body in prep for some upcoming trips and even with months of saving and trying to shore dive instead of boat dive and putting off having one drysuit repaired, I am damned broke (as opposed to regular broke) :) My boyfriend was just trying to convince me to get a topside zoom lens, and I actually laughed at him.... Maybe next year!!

    Well maybe if you stopped buying microscopes you could get a zoom lens.

    Bill ;)

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.