Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

The SubSee Magnifier

Started by danielstassen ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

The SubSee Magnifier

6 posts
  1. Hi folk,

     

    I am based in Asia, any idea if we can buy it in a store in SGP or HK?

     

    I'd like to see it first before buying, and it seems that we can only buy it online...

     

    Cheers

     

    Daniel

  2. Daniel,

    I can't say if it's available to see in Asia but will say it's a great piece of kit. I recently spent 10 days in Wakatobi and really was impressed with my results. In the past, I'd been using a 2x teleconverter with the 105mm. The Subsee is a much better option, not just the obvious that you can swing it out of the way if you don't need it, but the glass is much superior as well.

     

    A couple of full frame examples:

     

    4371572082_6d37494589_o.jpg

     

    If you've seen these Popcorn shrimp, they are very tiny:

     

    4370824409_c88cc9616e_o.jpg

     

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
  3. Rand can you remember whether you was using the +5 or +10 Subsee for that nice Popcorn Shrimp shot? Your post is great timing as a couple of us on here have been debating by PM the merits of lens + teleconverter vs using the Subsee.

  4. RSD,

     

    I used the 10x. I've shot with a 2xtc extensively the past 7 or so years and the Subsee is much better to use. The glass allows better AF without the hunting of a tc and it can be swung out of the way if needed. The TC forced you to stay with super macro for the dive. It may be a bit tougher to master than the 10x but it's a matter of lots of practice. The trick I've learned is placing the lens port at a proper distance before looking through the viewfinder. This helps with acquiring the subject which it usually the tough part.

     

    Here's one more:

     

    4385238739_2fd56666e1_o.jpg

     

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
  5. Many thanks Rand, we have been having quite a discussion about whether there were any downsides to using the Subsee compared to a teleconverter but it appears not - the added flexibility of being able to switch between macro lens only and/or using either the 5x or 10x on the same dive would certainly be useful on many macro dives.

  6. The only downside is the loss of working distance, but that should be weighed against better sharpness.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.