Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Just took the plunge..

Started by hooked4life ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Just took the plunge..

11 posts
  1. I finally took the plunge and picked up the Canon 7D. I have been shooting with an Olympus 5050, WA, Macro and Z-240 strobe for a few years. I wont be able to dive till about a year from now, but since I am going on a non diving vacation (I know its unheard of) soon, I wanted to pick up a few lenses.

     

    I like the Nauticam Housing, and have plenty of time to make that decison/purchases. As for lenses, I was looking at:

     

    Sigma 10-22mm 4-5.6

    Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 or Sigma 17-55 mm 2.8-45 (coming out soon) or the Tamron models

    Macro Lens 60mm

     

    Any recomendations or suggestions?

     

    Thanks, Will

  2. Hi Will,

     

    I think you've made some good choices to start. I started with the 40D and have now been shooting the 50D. I choose the Sigma 17-70 over the kit lens as my standard "walk around" lens and have been pretty happy with it (no IS though). I've taken it underwater and it's good there too if you're not sure what you're going to be shooting or want flexibility.

     

    For macro, I started with the Canon 60mm (later added the 100mm). The 60mm rocks! Fast, sharp, great in low light, my go-to macro lens.

     

    The only change I'd suggest is the tokina 10-17 over the sigma 10-22. The tokina has been described as perhaps the greatest underwater lens ever and I've been very, very happy with mine.

     

    Those 3 lenses were my starting kit - you'll be good to go for quite a while with them. Now I'm lusting after a 7D myself! :)

     

    Phil

  3. Hi Will,

     

    I used the Tokina 12-24 with my Canon and I really liked it. It's F4 all the way though the range, and I thought better quality.

     

    Like Phil says, the Tokina 10-17 is better for underwater use, but is not a versatile topsides lens. If you need something for both above and below then try the 12-24.

     

    Cheers

    James

    Edited by james
  4. Hi Will,

    Congrats on the new camera! The 7D can really take advantage of great glass. You might take a look at the Canon 17-40L, as an option for a walk around lens. Completely concur with Phil, the Tokina 10-17 rocks.(underwater) The other standout lens I've used on land is the 70-200 f4L, amazing image quailty for the money.

     

    Have fun!

    Steve

  5. I finally took the plunge and picked up the Canon 7D. I have been shooting with an Olympus 5050, WA, Macro and Z-240 strobe for a few years. I wont be able to dive till about a year from now, but since I am going on a non diving vacation (I know its unheard of) soon, I wanted to pick up a few lenses.

     

    I like the Nauticam Housing, and have plenty of time to make that decison/purchases. As for lenses, I was looking at:

     

    Sigma 10-22mm 4-5.6

    Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 or Sigma 17-55 mm 2.8-45 (coming out soon) or the Tamron models

    Macro Lens 60mm

     

    Any recomendations or suggestions?

     

    Thanks, Will

     

    As mentioned above the 60 mm is a super lens! A must-own for every uw photographer.

     

    I own the Sigmas you mentioned and also the Tokina 10-17.

     

    If you compare the Tokina and the Sigma 10-20 for underwater, the Tokina is miles better! I think of my uw photo carrer as: pre-tokina and post-tokina. It's such a great lens to use.

    But the Sigma 10-20 is a super lens to use topside though, it's almost always fitted to the camera... :)

     

    The 17-70 is a great lens as well but if I had to choose today I'd probably go with the Sigma 17-50 or Tamron 17-50 since they both are 2.8 and the price difference isn't that big...

     

    Good luck with your choices!

     

    //Erik

  6. Hi Will,

    Congrats on the new camera! The 7D can really take advantage of great glass. You might take a look at the Canon 17-40L, as an option for a walk around lens. Completely concur with Phil, the Tokina 10-17 rocks.(underwater) The other standout lens I've used on land is the 70-200 f4L, amazing image quailty for the money.

     

    Have fun!

    Steve

     

    You guys have me sold on the Tokina 10-17. :)

     

    Steve, for UW would there be an advantage with the Canon 17-40L vs the Sigma/Tamron's? By the way, I saw your pictures of Big Sur. We will be there a few days for our vacation. :P

     

    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

     

    Will

  7. I've shot the 17-40 L for several years and LOVE IT! it is some serious glass. it is attached to a 5D mk2 so it's great with the full frame sensor.

  8. Big Sur. We will be there a few days for our vacation. :P

     

    Will, you're in luck. Wander in to Backscatter in Monterey while you're on your vacation. easy to find , right on Cannery Row. The folks who work there know pretty much all there is to know about underwater cameras. On the first visit I always recommend you leave your credit card with your wife/girlfriend. :)

     

    As to the 17-40L, I can't speak for the Sigma's, I haven't shot them personally. I know a lot of the folks here like the 17-70 for an "all around" lens as Phil suggested. The 17-40L underwater is very picky and has a narrow window of aperature where the corners are really sharp (f11 with my dome). I did some tests here if you need some help falling asleep. I believe the recommendation now is for a 50mm extention and a +4. I haven't tried it. Having said that I use the Tokina 10-17 in almost every situation. I carry the 17-40 as a boat lens and backup if the worst happens.

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

  9. As to the 17-40L, I can't speak for the Sigma's, I haven't shot them personally. I know a lot of the folks here like the 17-70 for an "all around" lens as Phil suggested. The 17-40L underwater is very picky and has a narrow window of aperature where the corners are really sharp (f11 with my dome). I did some tests here if you need some help falling asleep. I believe the recommendation now is for a 50mm extention and a +4. I haven't tried it. Having said that I use the Tokina 10-17 in almost every situation. I carry the 17-40 as a boat lens and backup if the worst happens.

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

     

     

    I'd agree with Steve here. I tried the 17-40L (in a 6" dome) with no extension and no diopter and really wasn't satisfied with the corners at most apertures. I got a few I was happy with, but most were too soft. Maybe try the extension and diopter and see how it works out.

     

    Of course, now I'm after the Tokina 10-17 and a larger dome, but for now I'm really happy with the Sigma 15 FE underwater and using the 17-40L topside.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Lee

  10. I am in a very similar spot - just bought a 7D, switching from a G9 setup underwater, and have a while until my next dive trip. You might check out the new 100mm f/2.8L IS macro. I picked it up with my 7D body and have been incredibly impressed with this lens. If you are planning to do above-ground macro work, this lens is amazing and IS absolutely rocks!

  11. Also check out Tony Wu's review of the 7D with the 100mm f/2.8L IS -- I have no hands on experience, but it seems its quite a potent combo underwater as well.

     

    I do a lot of macro photos of my aquarium (more WA underwater), here are a few samples taken with this lens/camera combo:

     

    pearlberry.JPG

     

    lokani_tripod.JPG

     

    chalicecloseup.JPG

    Edited by mcliffy2
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.