These strange looking creatures were seen floating by on the surface with the current one day last month diving in the Philippines. I nor the guides/boatmen had ever seen them before. I took this image of them and then googled "disc with blue tentacles" and learned they are "Blue Button" jellyfish. Wow I thought.
The Wikipedia even mentioned the "Yellow morph" variant. They were really different.
Seriously cool. How big are we talking about?
Seriously cool. How big are we talking about?
They were around 1.5 to 2.5 inches across including the tentacles. They had tentacles that dangled under them into the water with the grayish disc a firm thing you could tap with your finger. The dangling tentacles moved in a coordinated fashion. These things were really interesting to watch. We put a few in a tub of seawater for a while, and then put them back into the ocean....
They are supposed to be common, but nobody had ever seen one before... there were lots of other jellyfish varieties and pelagic tunicates in the water too.