Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Video editing effects question?

Started by BDSC ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Video editing effects question?

9 posts
  1. Currently I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Pro Pack to edit my videos and it has some decent editing effects (titles, transitions, etc.) with it. But I was wondering if there are any really good "add on" softwares that I could buy that could add to what I already have that would really kick it up a notch. For instance, Mike Meagher posted a video called "Diving Deception Pass" where it opens with a cube that spins and shows different pictures or videos on each side of the cube. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

     

    Or does that come when you step up to the more professional level software? I know Sony has a pro level editing program but it runs like $600 or so I think.

     

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. Hey Ash, There are a ton of 3rd party plug ins for Final Cut Pro that you may find compatible with your PC software.The Cube effect your are referring to has been part of FC since 1999 and many companies have their own version of it. Core Melt's Lock and Load is excellent for stabilizing shots, Neat Video makes the best noise reducer out there, and a whole bunch of third party plug ins. I would go on your softwares forum and ask the same question. What is there for your NLE?

    Steve

    Edited by steve
  3. Thanks Steve!

     

    I did a Google search on Sony Vegas movie studio plug-ins after I posted and several things showed up. Some for a reasonable price and some over the top on price. So I'll check them out and the ones you mentioned as well. The wife is now talking about wanting a Mac so if we ever get one, I'll be like the "Big Boys"!!!! :)

  4. That does look slick!

  5. Check out www.NewBlueFX.com. Their software may be compatible with your existing software, and other packages you might upgrade to.

  6. Currently I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Pro Pack to edit my videos and it has some decent editing effects (titles, transitions, etc.) with it. But I was wondering if there are any really good "add on" softwares that I could buy that could add to what I already have that would really kick it up a notch. For instance, Mike Meagher posted a video called "Diving Deception Pass" where it opens with a cube that spins and shows different pictures or videos on each side of the cube. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

     

    Or does that come when you step up to the more professional level software? I know Sony has a pro level editing program but it runs like $600 or so I think.

     

    Thanks for any advice.

    I used Sony Vegas Pro ver 8.0 to create that spinning cube effect. No additional plug in was require with Vegas Pro. I search youtube for the topic "sony vegas pro titles effects" and I ran across a couple of home made tutorials where people demo'd how to work with the 3D alpha settings and parent-child settings. Look at the two youtube tutorials by "thedarkreu" and they will walk you through the effect in Vegas Pro. I"m not sure that Vegas Studio supports 3D alpha layers, perhaps you could upgrade for not too much to Vegas Pro.

    Edited by wolfeeldiver
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.