Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Help with Sony P1

Started by DCdivenut ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with Sony P1

4 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I have done a search and already discovered quite a bit of useful info but I am hoping you guys can helpme out with some more. Here is my situation:

    I have been diving for a few years and I have a little over 100 dives. I would like to get into photography, but not in a big or really expensive way. I have always just enjoyed the dive for the sake of the dive but I am at a point where I would like to get some pictures to enjoy later as well.

     

    I currently own a Sony P1 that I bought a few years ago when it was the top of the line. It is 3.3mp and works for everythign I want it to on land. I would therefore like to use this for underwater work at least for a while. I have found a housing on e-bay but I have a few questions...

     

    1. How good is this camera for underwater stuff (I am not looking to turn pro or win contests, just be able to e-mail friends and family some pics)

    2. Since it is an older camera/housing can you still get o-rings etc.?

    3. What is a good/relatively inexpensive strobe setup. I understand that you cannot link them directly but use some sort of fiber optic to have the built in flash trigger the strobe.

    4. Are there any additional accessories I should consider (lenses etc.) to really get the most out of the camera?

    5. Anything else I should know I am not asking?

  2. Hi

     

    I have a Sony P9, which I guess is reasonably similar to the P1, and also discontinued. I think (but am not sure) that the O-Rings for the Sony Cybershots are the same, so you could probably make do with spares for other cameras. I have a Sea and Sea YS-25 strobe, which I am reasonably happy with although I don't have much experience with other strobes. It is about the cheapest strobe I could find.

     

    The strobe gives good results at distances of no more than about 1.5m, further than this and backscatter takes over (depends on how clear the water is). A more powerful strobe would increase this distance a bit as you could move it further from the camera and still have enough light.

     

    I think a strobe is pretty essential if you want to get photos that are not all shades of blue. You are right, you won't get magazine covers, but I do have a collection of A4 sized pictures that I am very happy with.

     

    Personally I think tha camera is probably not the dominant cost of the set up, the case and strobe will cost more than a camera, so since you need to splash out on these anyway whay not consider a newer camera?

  3. Hi, I have a one of the first P1. I bought with the housing (MPK-P1).

    Now I used as a spare UW camera. I have taken some magnificent shots with this

    little guy. Ease of use and great resolution. I have taken it to 130ft without a problem. Change the Oring every year, don't overgrease it and wash it in fresh warm water after every use. Use defogger on the inside of the housing lens when the flash is being used, as heat is generated.

    I have had for 3 years and still love it! :freak:

  4. One more thing: Get a red color filter.

    Re the strobe: I do not use a strobe on the P1. At times I wished the P1 had an easy way to attach one.

    The 0-rings are still available.

     

    Good luck

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Protect the sharks!

    Take away only memories,

    Leave only bubbles!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.