Hi, can someone pls. help me identify these specimen from the Philippines:
Chiton:
I found this worm when I'm digging sand on the sea shore at the beach just before the water reaches the sand:
Pls. help, thanks!
I'm sorry if they're preserved specimens...
hi Rudolf & welcome to Wetpixel. It's pretty essential to say where the specimens were collected. Species in the Indo Pacific will be quite different from those in Europe or the Caribbean.
The worm is a sea cucumber and I can't do better than that regardless of where you found it.
Cheers, Leslie
Yes, it's from Indo-Pacific since I live in the Philippines.
The specimen is almost exactly the same when it's still living (same color, shape, but with deformed organs on the lower body). I'm already guessing that it could be a sea cucumber but I just can't compare it to all the sea cucumbers that I've found. It doesn't behave like one although many sea cucumbers have different features. I've been searching for the exact species for years but unsuccessful.
Thanks for the reply!
Hopefully, someone can identify the chiton...
I found out that the chiton is Stenoplax alata based on Poppe-Images:
Yes, lack of both color or patterning is common for infaunal, sand-burrowing apodous cucumbers. This looks like a synaptid. It looks preserved, certainly contracted. Many synaptids are at least translucent when alive. Difficult to put an ID on these after preservation, though options for the habitat and region probably are not many. Sorry, but I don't know their detailed taxonomy. Gustav Paulay probably could tell you.