Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Random Question

Started by jmauricio ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Random Question

5 posts
  1. Dive guides didn't know. A quick web search didn't turn up anything. even wetpixel search did not find the search terms....

    surely some of the bright minds on wetpixel know

     

    why are there wellington boots on the thistlegorm? why would a vessel carrying vehicles and ammo to world war II soldiers in the desert also be carrying wellington boots?

     

    i'm sure this must be well known but the typical quick search hardly mentions it.

  2. Hi there,

     

    Yes there are wellies on the Thistlegorm!

     

    As far as I am aware they are all size 10 (UK) and left feet!

     

    I've heard all sorts of explanations-that they were for use in refueling aircraft etc-none of which really makes sense! I think that in war time, cargo manifests were often confused. I think these were intended to be taken somewhere else!

     

    Adam

  3. Hi there,

     

    Yes there are wellies on the Thistlegorm!

     

    As far as I am aware they are all size 10 (UK) and left feet!

     

    I've heard all sorts of explanations-that they were for use in refueling aircraft etc-none of which really makes sense! I think that in war time, cargo manifests were often confused. I think these were intended to be taken somewhere else!

     

    Adam

    Allegedly the boots were destined for the airfields. Due to the heat and volatility of the aviation fuel it was unsafe for the ground crew to wear hobnail boots due to risk of igniting the fuel, so the poor buggers had to sweat in wellies.

  4. Interesting. seems such an obvious question but these are the best answers i've heard on the subject.

     

    thanks for the answer guys, its a little more clear.

  5. i thought the ship was full up with jimmy cricket fans when it went down.

     

    Stew

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.