Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Under-exposure results

Started by Chris Bangs ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Under-exposure results

8 posts
  1. I managed to find time to locate the disc I made of my first dive with the Fuji S2. These shots which I considered useless due to what I considered severe under-exposure have actually produced quite nice blues in the brighter areas, with little more than some "curves" adjustments in photoshop. However, I would like to see more detail in the shadow areas. Any more increase in the curves started washing out the fan.

     

    I have included one example, not a very good shot, but the blues are much better.

     

    These original shots were made using James's recommendations of 1/125th shutter speed and F22. Thanks James!

     

    On my next Guam visit in November, I will re shoot similar images, while experimenting to find the best balance between nice blue water and adequate shadow detail. For these shots I may try using different strobe power settings for full (with diffuser) for the model due to the greater distance and 1/4 for the seafan(less than 1 meter). This will require a lot more shooting as I will have to adjust the strobe much more depending on the position of the model in relation to the fan but with digital bottom time is more of a concern than available images.

     

    Kindest regards

     

    Chris

  2. There are three or four alternatives to increase your dynamic range:

     

    1) Use PS to blend the images by first creating two images of different exposures. I do this with the RAW converter. For a tutorial visit Luminous Landscape. This tutorial has been updated with some links to other alternatives.

     

    2) Buy Fred Miranda's DRI action. I just checked. It's not on his list anymore, but I'm sure you can still get it if you want. It automates 1) above.

     

    3) Chroma Software's Shadow Control also does pretty well.

     

    4) Wait for Photoshop CS, which will let you control shadow areas.

  3. This is much better, but I still think that the S2 struggles in this department. 1/125 still shows greeninsh at the surface, but way too dark behind the diver. Are you shooting raw or jpg?

  4. Use PS to blend the images by first creating two images of different exposures.  I do this with the RAW converter.  For a tutorial visit Luminous Landscape.

     

    Thanks for posting this link! It looks like a nice technique.

  5. Kasey

     

    The shot I posted was shot in Jpg mode. It was on my 3rd dive with the camera and I was doing a lot of experimenting, not to mention I forgot to take the camera software to Guam, therfore had no way to view the RAW files - DOH!!!. I later downloaded the LE version so I could at least see my results on my PC.

     

     

    Scorpio

     

    I will take a look at the other photoshop based corrections, I have other Fred Miranda products and I have been happy with these.

     

    What is Photoshop CS? (8.0?)

     

    Chris

  6. Yes, CS is the new name for the 8.0 suite

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. No need to buy a plugin for an easy case like this one.. Adjustment layer plus

    gradient tool does a passable job in 5 seconds. I could have made it more even,

    but theres only so much shadow detail to bring out with the 8 bit jpeg.

  8. Nice! Chris, you should teach a class on this.

     

    Cheers

    James

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.