Hi guys,
Sorry I didn't chime in earlier.
I hadn't planned on writing so much, but it just sort of all came out in one continuous data dump, perhaps because all those thoughts had been simmering in my mind while I was in Lembeh.
For what it's worth 3.0.2 didn't fix everything for me. There are fewer instances of problems, but the spinning beachball still comes up. The thumbnail problems have disappeared when I tested with a new Library that I created with a different set of photos, so it could be that my continuing issues have to do with the fact that I created my Lembeh Night Safari Library prior to 3.0.1 and 3.0.2, and updated the software in the middle of the duration while I was adding images.
I have received feedback from other people. Some people say "no problems at all", while others still have similar problems as I did. I don't think there's a single, consistent experience yet.
I had two new problems this weekend (with a completely new Library, new images, 3.0.1, 3.0.2 installed, and 10.6.3 OS X update). I selected 3 video files and tried to export Versions to a folder on my desktop. This worked previously with the Night Safari videos, but this time, the spinning beachball came up and I had to force quit. Exporting one video at a time was ok.
Also...something quite strange. I had to add a couple of new keywords to a range of images. I selected all the relevant images, then dragged the keywords over to them...just like I normally do. The two new keywords appeared only for the single image that I dragged the keywords to, but not to any of the other images selected. I tried over and over again, but no joy. I finally gave up and used the Lift and Stamp feature. The thing is, when I used Lift and Stamp and stamped to a whole bunch of images, it only worked for one image at a time. The stamp did not take with all the images. So I ended up having to stamp every image individually.
It was late at night, I had to submit asap, so I went with the path of least resistance and didn't try to figure out what the issue was. Could be something really simple and stupid I did, or it could be something new.
The IPTC problem was a real bear. I only had to submit 24 photos, but I had to copy and paste every IPTC field I needed from my Aperture file to my output file, because of the incompatibility of the way Aperture writes IPTC data. It seems like Aperture is following the correct standard, and that Photoshop and other programs need to modify their procedure, but the net effect is...photographers suffer.