Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lens choice for over/under shots with emphasis on "over"

Started by danielandrewclem ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens choice for over/under shots with emphasis on "over"

12 posts
  1. What's the best wide-angle lens to use on an APS-C Canon in Ikelite housing and 8" dome port for over/under shots when the emphasis is on the subjects above the surface? For example, if I wanted to shoot a large boat or beachfront home and capture the surface of the water but not much below, what should I use?

     

    I've got the 17-40 but I'm wondering if I should go back to the Tokina 10-17 or perhaps something else.

  2. Hi Dan,

    I've had some success with the Tokina 10-17mm on my 40D, very easy to do. I used the S&S fisheye dome for these. I'm guessing it would be similar to the 8" Ike.

     

    4403299770_f63f391693.jpg

     

     

    3252752232_20c539ef06_o.jpg

     

    I've never tried my 17-40.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. If the emphasis is really on the "over" then I would go for a rectilinear lens. This was shot with the Nikon 12-24mm on APS-C D2X. I am sure there are several similar Canon options, but it would need to wider than the 17-40mm (the 17-40mm would be fine on full frame).

     

    amustard_53.jpg

     

    Fisheye distortion can be a problem if the over part is the most critical portion of the image.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  4. Yeah, I tried the Tokina 10-17 (I've since sold it) and wasn't crazy about the fishy distortion when focused on topside subjects. Was thinking a rectilinear would be better but, as you noted, Alex, the 17-40 isn't very wide on my 20D. I'm gonna move up to full frame camera soon, but my 20D will remain my u/w rig for a while because I don't dive often enough to justify another setup. So maybe I'll give one of the rectilinear EF-S Tokinas a try.

  5. The Tokina 12-24DX is quite good - and what I would recommend.

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. Thanks, James. I'm thinking of the Tokina 12-24 or the 11-16 for my 20D, though the 11-16 seems to be sold out everywhere at the moment. Maybe I'll rent them and give each one a spin behind the dome.

  7. I used the 10-22mm for a load of under overs with good results.

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  8. Hi Alex,

    how did you manage to get the light balanced for the over and under water part in your shot?

  9. maybe a sigma 10-20 will perform well as it is a rectilinear lens with short minimum close focus distance (no need for strong diopters or diopters at all).

  10. maybe a sigma 10-20 will perform well as it is a rectilinear lens with short minimum close focus distance (no need for strong diopters or diopters at all).

    Unfortunately with ikelite housings this lens can only be used at a fixed focal length.

  11. tokina 11-16mm! I dont like fisheye distortion either.

     

    3607680605_a949ab22dd.jpg

     

    3607656425_9f26e54800.jpg

     

    3661495730_7690426eb0.jpg

     

    cheers,

     

    chris

  12. Nice shots, Chris.

     

    I just ordered the Tokina 11-16 today, as B&H finally got some more in stock.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.