Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

aperture 3 + pixelmator vs. cs4/cs5?

Started by mcliffy2 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

aperture 3 + pixelmator vs. cs4/cs5?

9 posts
  1. I already have aperture 2, and am now looking for better photo editing software. I understand that aperture 3 has improved editing functions, but still doesn't have some key features like layers. I really would like to avoid plunking down the $700 for CS5 if possible. I could upgrade aperture for $100, and have seen Pixelmator ($60) recommending as a good tool for layer editing, etc. This would save me a ton of cash, obviously, but is it a workable solution? If not, any other recommendations or is Photoshop the only way to go?

  2. Anyone have any input on this?

  3. Hi partner,

    There are a bunch of folks here who use Lightroom and then use Photoshop on occasion. There are also a bunch who use Aperture. There is a lot of new info just coming out on the upgrades to both programs. A bunch of folks are waiting in the wings to see what CS5 is going to have and when it will be available too.

     

    If you could say a little more about what you want to do with your images we could probably be more helpful than just getting into a food fight between Adobe and Apple. :goodpost:

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. be more helpful than just getting into a food fight between Adobe and Apple. :goodpost:

     

    More helpful, yes, but so much less entertaining. ;)

  5. I already have aperture 2, and am now looking for better photo editing software. I understand that aperture 3 has improved editing functions, but still doesn't have some key features like layers. I really would like to avoid plunking down the $700 for CS5 if possible. I could upgrade aperture for $100, and have seen Pixelmator ($60) recommending as a good tool for layer editing, etc. This would save me a ton of cash, obviously, but is it a workable solution? If not, any other recommendations or is Photoshop the only way to go?

    You may want to try the Aperture 3 Trial; the new non-destructive tools and multiple presets allow you to effectively mask your adjustments etc, so you may find you do not need layers etc

  6. Hi partner,

    There are a bunch of folks here who use Lightroom and then use Photoshop on occasion. There are also a bunch who use Aperture. There is a lot of new info just coming out on the upgrades to both programs. A bunch of folks are waiting in the wings to see what CS5 is going to have and when it will be available too.

     

    If you could say a little more about what you want to do with your images we could probably be more helpful than just getting into a food fight between Adobe and Apple. :goodpost:

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    I guess I'm not sure what I want to do exactly...make them look better ;) I've never had photoshop or any other pro editor...so I don't know what to expect. I have aperture 2 and have done basic fixes, but want to do things like be able to isolate an animal and edit it, then isolate water in the background and adjust it separately, which I think requires layers? Other than that the basic, sharpening, edge tools, white balance, and color adjustments seem like they would work...and the cost for Apple Aperture plus Pixemator to do layers ($150 since I have aperture 2) and CS5 ($700) is pretty steep, so I'm basically wondering what would be worth the $550 to me, if anything?

  7. I guess I'm not sure what I want to do exactly...make them look better

     

    That's a worthy goal. I've learned from listening to the pros around here that the best way to make them look better is to take better images to start with. Easier for them tougher for us. But if we're shooting Raw and you should be then a little processing makes all the difference. Both Lightroom and Aperture are excellent programs to perform 95% of the kinds of adjustments you're talking about. I only use PS to add something to an image that wasn't there in the first place, or more likely to add multiple images together for posters and things like that. I'm a fan of Lightroom and the best way I've found to understand what it can do is to watch the free video lessons at http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-20/ You can also download the free trial of LR 3 to check it out. I learned a lot by watching the videos and then trying it. Aperture probably has similar sites.

     

    The short answer to your question is that you don't need to spend a bunch of money on Photoshop to get the ability to do a super job processing your pictures.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  8. That's a worthy goal. I've learned from listening to the pros around here that the best way to make them look better is to take better images to start with. Easier for them tougher for us. But if we're shooting Raw and you should be then a little processing makes all the difference. Both Lightroom and Aperture are excellent programs to perform 95% of the kinds of adjustments you're talking about. I only use PS to add something to an image that wasn't there in the first place, or more likely to add multiple images together for posters and things like that. I'm a fan of Lightroom and the best way I've found to understand what it can do is to watch the free video lessons at http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-20/ You can also download the free trial of LR 3 to check it out. I learned a lot by watching the videos and then trying it. Aperture probably has similar sites.

     

    The short answer to your question is that you don't need to spend a bunch of money on Photoshop to get the ability to do a super job processing your pictures.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    That is good news. I have actually downloaded Lightroom 3, just haven't played with it much. I'll probably go ahead and upgrade Aperture as well, so I can try both.

  9. I guess I'm not sure what I want to do exactly...make them look better :goodpost: I've never had photoshop or any other pro editor...so I don't know what to expect. I have aperture 2 and have done basic fixes, but want to do things like be able to isolate an animal and edit it, then isolate water in the background and adjust it separately, which I think requires layers? Other than that the basic, sharpening, edge tools, white balance, and color adjustments seem like they would work...and the cost for Apple Aperture plus Pixemator to do layers ($150 since I have aperture 2) and CS5 ($700) is pretty steep, so I'm basically wondering what would be worth the $550 to me, if anything?

    T o a limited degree Aperture ( and I think Lightroom) will allow you to do the edits you speak of. For example you can change say the contrast in an animal using the curves tool, but paint in the effect only on the animal. Similarly you can make a change in the background and paint it only for the background and not have it effect the animal. You can also stack multiple changes on top of each other like this. Not as powerful as layers etc, but if you are trying to keep it cheap and simple, you can do a lot more than you think. Read through the posts on this here on this site, here's an example of the selectivity available

    http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/03/31/a...-in-aperture-3/

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.