Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fingerprint cymphoma or flamingo tongue

Started by DiverPam ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Fingerprint cymphoma or flamingo tongue

4 posts
  1. I am asking for help in IDing a picture. I got a picture of a what I am pretty sure is fingerprint cyphoma in Bonaire 2 weeks ago. I also got a pic of another which I am not sure about - is it a fingerprint cymphona or a flamingo tongue? It does not have enough markings on it for me to be sure - the second pic is my question. Can you guys help me with this ID?

     

    I am including both pics here you to look at - in case I am wrong about the first ID too.

     

    Thanks - DiverPam

     

    What I labeled as the fingerprint cymphoma

     

    post-25529-1270256357.jpg

     

    The one I am not sure about and need an ID on - thanks

     

    post-25529-1270256319.jpg

  2. Hi Pam - In Cyphoma signata - the fingerprint - there are rows of patches with transverse brown lines on a yellow background. Occasionally the spots of Cyphoma gibbosa - the flamingo tongue - become more angular or distorted, or in just 1 few rows. The mantle is white and the spots have yellow centers & distinct brown outlines. I think these fall into gibbosa.

    Cheers, Leslie

  3. In Cyphoma signata - the fingerprint - there are rows of patches with transverse brown lines on a yellow background.

    Here's a fingerprint for comparison ...

     

    2191711786_125a11269e.jpg

  4. Thanks for the ID. And the pic. That really helped. I can see the difference plainly now. The shape of the spots threw me off and I did not realize that it was that distinct within the fingerprint portion.

     

    Now...will be looking to find one for sure in the future and having a recodring shot for myself.

     

    Happy diving - DiverPam

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.