Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Lembeh pipefish

Started by scubamarli ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Lembeh pipefish

7 posts
  1. 5 or 6 inches long, white spots on sides, no skin flaps that I could see....

     

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Marli

    post-1116-1270347054.jpg

  2. Oh, Pipefish are hard, especially from this area. I will get back to you tomorrow when I am back to my office and check my books.

  3. Oh, Pipefish are hard, especially from this area. I will get back to you tomorrow when I am back to my office and check my books.

     

    Thanks! I have a message into Gerry Allen, but he is often traveling.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. Here is the scoop from Gerry Allen:

    The pipefish is a species of Halicampus and most likely H. grayi.

     

    Marli

  5. Hi Marli

     

    Been awaiting your i.d. with interest. I took this pic in Lembeh last October and wonder if you think it might be the same beast? If not, any suggestions?

    post-2843-1272393997.jpg

  6. I don't think it's the same; the snout is much longer. Might be Trachyrhamphus longirostris....or something else all together!

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  7. I don't think it's the same; the snout is much longer. Might be Trachyrhamphus longirostris....or something else all together!

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

     

    Trachyrhamphus longirostris - straight stick

     

    thats what i would say it was. quite common in lembeh

     

    stew.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.