Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Digital Workflow/Asset Management remedial options?

Started by scorpio_fish ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Digital Workflow/Asset Management remedial options?

3 posts
  1. Tony's informative posts on Aperture got me thinking. I'm hitting the wall of disorganization, yet I can't get my arms around a conceptual cure.

     

    What I am looking for is information and discussions (i.e. resources) on alternate approaches and the software that facilitates the approach. I realize there is no one solution, but I have no idea how to discover my own solution. The issue becomes even more important since I have now, gulp, switched from Nikon and Canon AND now have video files meandering on to my hard drive.

     

     

    Background

    I have a 1TB drive that is now full of nothing but images. They are now spilling over into the other 1TB drive. I have no "libraries". I have no keywords. All I have are folders and sub-folders with gobs of images (including scanned slides), mostly by trip. I have RAW files. I process the RAWs through Photoshop (which I don't really want to change, my brain reserves are invested in PS) therefore creating PSD files. I create print quality versions and web quality versions from the PSDs. I have no idea if my current way of organizing the versions is optimal (I'm sure it is not). I'm not sure what the optimal way of naming the files should be. Folders created via transfer now have video files (3 per clip) mingled with the RAWS (ugh).

     

    I would like to find resources that describe methodology and logic besides specific software hawking sites (buy this one!). I don't mind the "here is what I do" as long as their is "why this really works" along with it. I appreciate the Aperture and Lightroom reviews, but I'm ultimately going to use Photoshop to do post processing, even if I discover a better raw processor.

     

    My mind is now open (and bleeding) to suggestions.

  2. Tony's informative posts on Aperture got me thinking. I'm hitting the wall of disorganization, yet I can't get my arms around a conceptual cure.

     

    What I am looking for is information and discussions (i.e. resources) on alternate approaches and the software that facilitates the approach. I realize there is no one solution, but I have no idea how to discover my own solution. The issue becomes even more important since I have now, gulp, switched from Nikon and Canon AND now have video files meandering on to my hard drive.

     

     

    Background

    I have a 1TB drive that is now full of nothing but images. They are now spilling over into the other 1TB drive. I have no "libraries". I have no keywords. All I have are folders and sub-folders with gobs of images (including scanned slides), mostly by trip. I have RAW files. I process the RAWs through Photoshop (which I don't really want to change, my brain reserves are invested in PS) therefore creating PSD files. I create print quality versions and web quality versions from the PSDs. I have no idea if my current way of organizing the versions is optimal (I'm sure it is not). I'm not sure what the optimal way of naming the files should be. Folders created via transfer now have video files (3 per clip) mingled with the RAWS (ugh).

     

    I would like to find resources that describe methodology and logic besides specific software hawking sites (buy this one!). I don't mind the "here is what I do" as long as their is "why this really works" along with it. I appreciate the Aperture and Lightroom reviews, but I'm ultimately going to use Photoshop to do post processing, even if I discover a better raw processor.

     

    My mind is now open (and bleeding) to suggestions.

    I think you should start by investing in Aperture or Lightroom even if you plan to continue using Photoshop; they will both immediately provide you with a way to organize all your versions and be able to see them visually grouped together in a stack in one place. The stack can then be collapsed so you only see one main representative version of your choice of the image. You will also be able to store your video there - this seems to be one area where Aperture has an edge at the moment. Unlike the Aperture review by Tony Wu, I also see real value in the Places integration of Aperture for sorting purposes. And you may like this because I know you do a lot of trips all over the world. In terms of choosing Aperture or Lightroom, I would recommend downloading both trials and see which best facilitates your organizational sensibilities. Aperture allows you to keep the files and folders as separate referenced files and folders or bring them all into one central library if you choose. You can even play with both ways till you get a feel for it and discard one or the other.

    Obviously you will have to do the work in naming every version etc. There are different ways to approach how you structure your organization, by year, by trip, by Geographic location etc that you will have to think about. I know Eric has strong feelings about the keyword hierarchies and exportability in Aperture, but this may be less of an issue for you, as they are non-issues for me.

    Ultimately they are both great programs in my opinion, so I think you should choose according to the interface you prefer to use.

    I'll research some more articles on file naming / sorting options I've read and post them (applies to Aperture or lightroom0

    Edited by loftus
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.