With all my other macs I have just connected them to the old one and transferred all app, data, etc etc across and this seam to work pretty well. Is it considered better practice to install applications and transfer data separately and not mirror the old machine?
Any thoughts?
With all my other macs I have just connected them to the old one and transferred all app, data, etc etc across and this seam to work pretty well. Is it considered better practice to install applications and transfer data separately and not mirror the old machine?
Any thoughts?
Clean installs of OSes and Software can be a good idea and save you some headaches down the road. For instance, Apple may recommend that a software upgrade be done a certain way - there was one version of Final Cut Studio where doing a clean install of the software (where the older version was not on the machine), helped many in stability issues later on.
That being said, many people use Migration Assistant, Super Duper, etc to set up new computers. I do that alot myself, but I will also create a new "clean" partition for a couple of apps, primarily the Final Cut Studio and a couple of other apps, so I have a clean system handy to work from.
Sounds like a plan, regarding my emails which are in mail. Are they all saved in one folder like a pst folder on windows, can I just copy that and my mail will al be there etc? Same for the calendar?
J
I use Super Duper for complete system backups every month and have a seperate hard drive just for that. I find that doing a mirror transfer with Macs which I have done several times in the past has not caused any problems for me. Since I have probably too many 3rd party plug ins, I usually do not transfer them and just do clean installs for those I want to keep.
Steve
thanks steve that's good to know. By the way when you do the mirror, does it transfer all mail settings, emails themselves and pluggins etc? I can't remember from the last times.
Cheers
J
Yes it does but it is always wise to go to the preferences to double check that all is as you want it.