Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Shrimp in Sea Pen

Started by indigo ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Shrimp in Sea Pen

4 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    Me again! Found this shrimp about quarter if an inch in size, in a Sea Pen, approx 40ft, sea grass bed. Again this is a 'new to me' critter, and I'd be very happy if anyone can provide a name for the face.

     

    St. Vincent, Caribbean sea.

     

    Thank you so much for your assistance!

     

    Kay Wilson,

    Indigo Dive,

    St. Vincent.

  2. I love these animals - they're so neat. It's a skeleton shrimp in the genus Pontonia, named for the white lines which look like a halloween skeleton. Since you found it in a Pinna it's probably Pontonia pinnae - check out my friend Art's pic of one for comparison at http://www.flickr.com/photos/artour_a/9666...57622722430625/ Pontonia species are all obligate commensals in molluscs

    Edited by Leslie
  3. Leslie,

     

    Thank you so much! Awesome shot from Art.

     

    I have a few other critters that I can't ID, I'll post them once I get some better shots!

     

    All the best,

     

    Kay

  4. Hi Kay -

    An ID correction courtesy of another friend & shrimp expert, Sammy De Grave from Oxford University - "Pontonia pinnae is an east Pacific species. That photo is either P.mexicana or P.domestica, likely the former. Just had to do some Pontonia questions for Art, so stumbled across that post."

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.