Has anyone seen something like this before?

Here's a close-up:

The photos are from Dominica, when I was there earlier this year with the sperm whales.
A bit of background on my blog if you're interested.
Read-only discussion
Has anyone seen something like this before?

Here's a close-up:

The photos are from Dominica, when I was there earlier this year with the sperm whales.
A bit of background on my blog if you're interested.
I've seen them in the Coral Sea - they certainly make for good video with the combination of movement and colour.
Not much help on the classification other than "SALP" which you already have.
Nope, it's the egg mass of a pelagic squid. Many of them produce these jelly-sacs filled with thousands of tiny eggs. The best known is probably Thysanoteuthis rhombus, the diamond-back squid. Check out http://tolweb.org/images/Thysanoteuthidae/19420
You're the best Leslie! Thank you very much
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.