Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Ikelite shutter release wobble

Started by Geir ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite shutter release wobble

4 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I am making my new SX200IS/Ikelite combo ready for the first dive. To make the shutter release easier to operate with thick 3 finger gloves, I put a small rod on the release lever, parallel to the shaft. When testing it, I noticed the modification is causing the release shaft to wobble slightly due to the force now is not only rotational. Does the       x-ring have enough flexibility to stay watertight in spite of this wobble or do I need to stabilize it somehow? I will test it without camera first, but what about the long term effect?

     

    Geir

  2. ATJ on this forum had problems with his Ike housing leaking drops of water when wiggling some of the control shafts. His replacement was fine, but it does mean Id be cautious about this kind of thing. Had a similar small leak once that I put down to using a control shaft to fasten a lanyard to for my woody, and I think the rocking back and forth caused the water leak, but could have been a grain of sand I guess. As in the camera didnt flood but there was some water on the bottom and the leak detector went off. Didnt happen again after I cleaned it and stopped using it as a securing point.

     

    Its less time and more a case of the right combination of circumstances Id say, eg as the seal gets more worn from use, the tolerances might make things get more marginal.

     

    If it goes even a little, well, the SX200IS isnt exactly a highly sealed camera, so it wont take much to get in and chances are fairly good it will go over the camera given what control shaft it is.

  3. I'd be careful about adding an extra bit of lever onto an already fairly pronounced control. If you really need to, go for it, but I put quite a few dives on my ikelite 40D housing with 3 finger heavy duty gloves, and managed just fine. Especially if you've only handled the housing topside, you could be pleasantly surprised underwater and find that you don't need the extension. 3 finger gloves are way more awkward topside than they are under even a moderate depth of water.

  4. I'd be careful about adding an extra bit of lever onto an already fairly pronounced control. If you really need to, go for it, but I put quite a few dives on my ikelite 40D housing with 3 finger heavy duty gloves, and managed just fine. Especially if you've only handled the housing topside, you could be pleasantly surprised underwater and find that you don't need the extension. 3 finger gloves are way more awkward topside than they are under even a moderate depth of water.

     

    With a bit of luck I'll be able to test dive the setup this weekend, and will check both with and without the extension.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.