Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Blennie Id’s

Started by mborosch ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Blennie Id’s

4 posts
  1. Blennie Id's

    I'm having a hard time identifying these Blennies can anyone help?

    Found in Palm Beach FL, Daytime Depth was 8-10 feet.

     

    Thanks

    Mark

     

     

     

     

    Blenny-001.jpg

     

    1.

     

     

     

     

    Blenny-002.jpg

     

    2

     

    Blenny-003.jpg

     

    3

     

    Blenny-004.jpg

     

    4

    Edited by mborosch
  2. I think numbers 2 to 4 are all seaweed blennies, they can vary greatly in coloration.

     

    My first impression for number one is that it is not a blenny at all, perhaps a scorpionfish. I've never seen it before but check out the barbfish (Scorpaena brasiliensis), which occurs in Florida. You can also look at the Gulf toadfish (Opsanus beta). I don't think it is supposed to be bright yellow but it is found again in Florida. Local Florida divers are more likely to know the exact answer.

     

    Bart

  3. Bart is correct, number 1 is a juvenile Scorpionfish, very hard to ID at that size without a full view photo, if I had to guess I would also say Barbfish (Scorpaena brasiliensis), it is not a Toadfish, of that I am sure.

     

    All others are color variants of the Seaweed Blenny (Parablennius marmoreus) as Bart has already said.

    Edited by Rocha
  4. Thanks for the ID's the scorpion fish, he would not come out from under cover, and that's not a downward angle, he's on a mini wall (so he's vertical) and I shot him straight on.

     

    I had no idea that there were so many variants of the Seaweed Blenny, maybe that's why I could not find them in the book, I'll have to go back and look again...

     

     

    Thanks

    Mark

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.