Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Entering POTW contest

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Entering POTW contest

9 posts
  1. Tried entering the POTW contest for the first time.

    Filled in the screen asking for which file, name of entry, location, equipment, etc. I am attempting to enter a picture from my external hard drive.

    Select the NEXT button on the bottom. After a few seconds pass, the screen goes entirely white...nothing else ever happens.

    After a few minutes of nothing happening, I close the page, go back to WP and try again...same results.

    After trying 3 times, I figure I am doing something wrong.

     

    What am I doing wrong...what should I change?

    Dave

  2. Check the file size of your image 640 pixels on the long axis 72 dpi and set the color mode to SRGB.

     

    I hope that helps.

     

    Mark

  3. Check the file size of your image 640 pixels on the long axis 72 dpi and set the color mode to SRGB.

     

    I hope that helps.

     

    Mark

    I appreciate the suggestions. I am apparently not sharp enough to figure it out. All the software I use offer 'quality' options, not size options. I do not know how to get them to 640 pixel max. The lowest quality option does not change. They are already sRGB.

     

    Dave

  4. Dave,

    What software are you using partner? We can figure this out.

     

    Steve

  5. Lightroom 2.x and Photoshop 4.

  6. In PS go to the IMAGE menu at the top then pull down to IMAGE SIZE and enter 640 for either the width or the height, which ever is the longest axis, so if it's a horizontal image then enter 640 in the pixel dimension box and vise versa for a vertical image and then enter 72 in the resolution box, click ok

     

    NOTE, next step is very important. Under the file menu use the SAVE AS command and save your file with a different name so that you know it's a low-resolution image. You can set the compression around 7 that generally fine for a first time compression from the original. Just make sure you're not resizing and saving your ORIGINAL file as a low-res file.

     

    In Lightroom select the file you want to export, go to FILE Menu select export. Choose the destination for the file for example desktop. File Settings , set format to JPEG, Color Space to SRGB Quality to 70%. IMAGE SIZING check the resize to box, then choose LONG EDGE set dimensions to 640 PIXELS, then RESOLUTION to 72 pixels per inch and then hit the export button and that should work

     

    I always archive all my files before I ever touch them in PS or Lightroom, that way I always have a set of virgin files.

     

    Let us know if you need any more help and good luck with the POTW.

     

    Mark

  7. Thanks for the great help. Its easy when you know how...

    I am entered !

     

    Dave

  8. You will find the contests, fascinating, instructive, and very competetive. There are a LOT of good photographers here and all have a huge library of excellent work. Good luck.

     

    What I try to do is compare my top 3 choices with the results. For example, in the last contest "fish faces", I felt that any of 10-15 shots could have won. I had two of the top 3 in my top 5 and all but one of the top 10 in my top 15. This isn't always the case because I prefer beauty over unusual and technical excellence.

     

    Regards,

  9. Thank you for the crystal clear information. Very helpfull.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.