I've just had my Subal ND2 fitted with a Weikamps internal TTL circuit by Mike Dive
I'm now trying to puzzle out the settings on my Z240!
I think it needs to be set as per a Nikon film camera-left hand dial to STTL, right hand dial to TTL (9 o'clock). With the cancel circuit magnet/switch in the "in" (canceled) position. When I do this though, the flash doesn't fire!
If I leave the cancel circuit magnet out it does fire, but I don't think it is adjusting exposure!
Does anyone have any experience of setting these up?
Many thanks
Adam
Hi Adam,
With my old Canon setup, I did the same as you, left to STTL, right to 9 o'click, magnet in and it worked... sometimes.
Good luck
Alex
You may have your Subal circuit board configured for manual mode.
Another possible probem, is the TTL battery charged?
Those are great tips for people like me who are considering ttl vs ttb. Thanks!
Hi again,
Thanks for the replies.
@eyu-the Reef Subal article is with the standard Subal circuit board-which will only give TTL with a (housed) Nikon land strobe. The Mike Dive conversion gives you (if I can make it work!) TTL with Inon etc strobes.
The Reef article on the Inon strobe set up is great, but when I set mine up as they suggest
I think it needs to be set as per a Nikon film camera-left hand dial to STTL, right hand dial to TTL (9 o'clock). With the cancel circuit magnet/switch in the "in" (canceled) position. When I do this though, the flash doesn't fire!
If I leave the cancel circuit magnet out it does fire, but I don't think it is adjusting exposure!
It doesn't seem to work!
Any other ideas?
Adam
Hi again,
Thanks for the replies.
@eyu-the Reef Subal article is with the standard Subal circuit board-which will only give TTL with a (housed) Nikon land strobe. The Mike Dive conversion gives you (if I can make it work!) TTL with Inon etc strobes.
The Reef article on the Inon strobe set up is great, but when I set mine up as they suggest
It doesn't seem to work!
Any other ideas?
Adam
Would the people who did the conversion not be able to tell you?
Adam,
I have my Subal ND2 and Ion Z240's configured as per the Reef Photo diagrams (thanks to Ryan) and my TTL works perfect.
But I am using the Sea & Sea version of the Heinrichs Weikamp TTL because it allows me to adjust +/- 2 f stops in TTL or shoot manual and has a long battery life.
You may have an incompatibility issue with your TTL unit and your strobes. In other words, your Heinrichs may only work with the Z240 type I, II and not work with type III or IV, or visa versa.
Check with Heinrichs Weikamp and your installer on compatibility with your strobes.
Elmer
Hi Elmer,
I think I have got it sorted-I removed the battery for a while and then it seems to work fine! I need to dive it to be sure, but it seems to be exposing consistently when I vary the apertures on land.
Settings are as per the Reef instructions. I have a Z240 mk2, but as soon as the magnets arrive, I'm going to use z220's as well! I'll let you know how I get on....!
Hey Duncan-I've got loads of instructions, but they are in German!