Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

iPad plus camera connectors

Started by sdingeldein ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

iPad plus camera connectors

8 posts
  1. I got the camera connector kit for the iPad today and quickly tried out importing photos from my wife's Canon SX1 IS and my Nikon D300.

     

    There are two connectors, one which connects SD cards directly to the iPad and one that connects anything USB (for connecting directly to the a camera).

     

    When I plugged in the SD card from my wife's camera (she shoots CR2/RAW plus JPEG) it immediately recognized that there photos attached and the program recognized that they were JPEG+RAW and asked if I wanted to import them. The import went flawlessly.

     

    I then shot NEF/RAW only photos with the Nikon D300 and the importation went equally well and the iPad had no problem rendering the photos in the Last Imported album.

     

    This answers my first concern about using the iPad as a sustitute laptop. Will it download and recognize RAW photos? It does.

     

    I have no idea, yet, how one would tranfer photos from the iPad to my desktop. That'll be the next thing to play with.

     

    Next thing needed: an iPad version of Lightroom or Aperture.

     

    Anyhow, I thought some might want the "after playing with it for 10 minutes" answer to the importation and recognition of RAW files.

     

    SD

  2. ....

    When I plugged in the SD card from my wife's camera (she shoots CR2/RAW plus JPEG) it immediately recognized that there photos attached and the program recognized that they were JPEG+RAW and asked if I wanted to import them. The import went flawlessly. ...

     

    SD

    Wondering how the Canon RAWS display after import ... do they look like flat RAWs or maybe they display with a Picture Style... so look like somewhat like the jpegs?

  3. Thank you for the update. I just got mine so I will be testing it to see if it reads the 7D raw files this weekend.

  4. They look like the JPEGs, I can't tell any difference.

     

    SD

     

    I got the camera connector kit for the iPad today and quickly tried out importing photos from my wife's Canon SX1 IS and my Nikon D300.

     

    There are two connectors, one which connects SD cards directly to the iPad and one that connects anything USB (for connecting directly to the a camera).

     

    When I plugged in the SD card from my wife's camera (she shoots CR2/RAW plus JPEG) it immediately recognized that there photos attached and the program recognized that they were JPEG+RAW and asked if I wanted to import them. The import went flawlessly.

     

    I then shot NEF/RAW only photos with the Nikon D300 and the importation went equally well and the iPad had no problem rendering the photos in the Last Imported album.

     

    This answers my first concern about using the iPad as a sustitute laptop. Will it download and recognize RAW photos? It does.

     

    I have no idea, yet, how one would tranfer photos from the iPad to my desktop. That'll be the next thing to play with.

     

    Next thing needed: an iPad version of Lightroom or Aperture.

     

    Anyhow, I thought some might want the "after playing with it for 10 minutes" answer to the importation and recognition of RAW files.

     

    SD

  5. Pictures seem to import to Lightroom from the iPad without difficulty. When I hit the import button, Lightroom treated the iPad just like a memory card and called up all the pictures for imporation.

     

    Aperture also recognizes the iPad without any problem.

     

    Now all we need is Lightroom or Aperture for the iPad!

     

    SD

    Edited by sdingeldein
  6. This is all very good news; so far seems to work as advertised! Have you tried putting images in albums on the iPad and then importing? This would be a way to make selects on the iPad if the albums transfer to Aperture or iPhoto. Conceivably one could create selects albums or other groupings and import them into Aperture smart albums.

    Edited by loftus
  7. This is all very good news; so far seems to work as advertised! Have you tried putting images in albums on the iPad and then importing? This would be a way to make selects on the iPad if the albums transfer to Aperture or iPhoto. Conceivably one could create selects albums or other groupings and import them into Aperture smart albums.

     

    I haven't yet figured out how make new albums on the iPad out of the imports. When you import into the iPad, the imported pictures go into an album called "Imported Photos" (iirc). I'll play some more today and see what I can learn.

     

    SD

  8. Multiple card configuration readers elicit the message that they draw too much power, at least all the ones I've tried so far.

     

    However, I just bought an Ativa (Office Depot brand) card reader and it transfers pictures from CF cards.

     

    SD

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.