Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

RAW File Sizes

Started by Andi Voeltz ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

RAW File Sizes

8 posts
  1. I know that we had this somewhere before, but I am just unable to find that topic.

    What was the average RAW filesize with current digital SLRs and how many pics fit on an 1GB microdrive? I have the values for the 10D and D100 but would love to have them at hand for the Fuji S2 Pro, Canon 1Ds and Kodak 14n.

     

    Canon 10D = each file 6MB, 165 RAW images

    Canon D60 = ??

    Canon 1Ds = each file 9MB, ???

     

    Nikon D100 = each file 10MB, 107 RAW images

     

    Fuji S2 Pro = ??

     

    Kodak 14n = ??

     

    * PS: I took the image no. indicated by the camera with an empty Microdrive

  2. Andi, I'm pretty sure the Fuji S2 Pro takes 12 MB files in RAW, so that's about 84 images on a 1 MB drive or card.

  3. S2pro: 12.9 megs.

     

    But there's no extra information in there - those are really just 6 megapixel files... :(:blink::blink:

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. I know that we had this somewhere before, but I am just unable to find that topic.

    What was the average RAW filesize with current digital SLRs and how many pics fit on an 1GB microdrive? I have the values for the 10D and D100 but would love to have them at hand for the Fuji S2 Pro, Canon 1Ds and Kodak 14n.

     

    Canon 10D = each file 6MB, 165 RAW images

    Canon D60 = ??

    Canon 1Ds = each file 9MB, ???

     

    Nikon D100 = each file 10MB, 107 RAW images

     

    Fuji S2 Pro = ??

     

    Kodak 14n = ??

     

    * PS: I took the image no. indicated by the camera with an empty Microdrive

    d60=~6mb

  5. So summing it up, exept for the 14n*:

     

    Canon 10D = each file 6.0 MB, 165 RAW images

    Canon D60 = each file 6.0 MB, 165 RAW images

    Canon 1Ds = each file 8.8 MB, 110 RAW images

     

    Nikon D100 = each file 10.0 MB, 107 RAW images

     

    Fuji S2 Pro = each file 12.8 MB, 84 RAW images

     

    Kodak 14n = ??

     

    * I doubt that we will find a 14n user here

     

    OK, final words from my side. When I bought our Canon 10D the ongoing image

    flood I would produce in RAW was definately an issue for me. I bought Canon

    from my intuition. Since I read somewhere that they managed a good and almost

    lossless storing mechanism producing very small files. Also it was my guess, since

    they played succesfully with RAW for quite a while.

     

    I could spend some more words on the above, but last time this resulted into

    the popular DSLR brand war. B)

  6. The D100 file size is the uncompressed version which I believe most people shoot. The compressed version is much smaller but is quite slow to save. Compressed or uncompressed, the D100 raw format is lossless as expect the Canon one is.

     

    I wonder if there is really any appreciable file size difference taking compression into account since both are 6MP and 12 bit. In any event, 100 exposures is quite a bit. I use 2GB cards and get 206.

  7. One more data point. The Canon 300D has a slightly larger raw file due to the embedded JPEG, averages around 7MB. I've been getting around 70 for my 500MB card.

  8. I have both a D60 and 10D; RAW files range from 6mb to just over 8mb on both cameras. A bit smaller on the 10D as the embedded JPEG is smaller. It will depend on your subject, ISO setting, etc; at ISO 100 it's closer to 6mb, at ISO 1600 more like 8.

     

    In any case, both cameras write them out TOO SLOWLY! :huh:

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.