Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea & Sea NX Compact Dome or Optical Dome Port?

Started by indoreef ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea NX Compact Dome or Optical Dome Port?

2 posts
  1. I am looking at options for my Tokina 10-17 on a D90. I am looking at more compact options than the Nauticam 8.5 or NX Fisheye Dome. I am also interested in general wide angle, reef scenics and split shots, so the 100 mm domes are not a consideration. I have searched the forums and there is a lot of info recommending the Sea & Sea optical dome or the NX F/E or similar large dome. In fact there has been quite a few posts really praising the optical dome port as an excellent choice for the 10-17 and the favored port of several experienced shooters here. However, generally the compact port is said to suffer issues such as soft corners. I realize that you need to use an SX extension with both ports. However, it seems to me that the NX compact dome and the optical dome are both just about the same size. So what is it that makes the optical dome such a great choice, but the compact port not so recommended? Is there a difference in the curvature of the domes that makes one better optically?

     

    Thanks.

    Edited by indoreef
  2. Yes. ;-)

     

    The Optical Glass dome is flatter as glass resolves better and can be ground differently. Less distortion.

     

    Jack

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.