Not suer if this is the right fourm for this but: I'm about to pull the trigger on a new MBP, and am wondering if I should take advantage of the $30-off offer on MobileMe when I order. In principle it sounds pretty nifty, especially for implementing some form of web gallery function that I don't have to mess with. However, I've already got JAlbum and I've already got G-mail, so what's my motivation here?
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
MobileMe
-
-
Not suer if this is the right fourm for this but: I'm about to pull the trigger on a new MBP, and am wondering if I should take advantage of the $30-off offer on MobileMe when I order. In principle it sounds pretty nifty, especially for implementing some form of web gallery function that I don't have to mess with. However, I've already got JAlbum and I've already got G-mail, so what's my motivation here?
I use Mobile me and like it but can't compare it to other cloud solutions.
I use it to sync my calendars and contacts, etc among iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc. Thisis the main value to me. Is it worth $99/year (I do the family version as my wife and kids are on Macs) for that? Possibly not.
I also use MobileMe gallery and iDisk, but don't make that much use of them. I haven't explored them to the extent that I should.
Steve
-
My understanding is that iDisk is the major selling point of Mobil Me...a friends computer crapped out and he was able to recover everything thanks to his MM acct.
-
Hi Mike,
I use it as a convenient method for syncing data (contacts, calendar, Omnifocus, etc) between my computers and iphone, though there are other ways to do this. I also like the idea of the "Find my iPhone", though I hope I'll never have to use it. Some of this only became more compelling when I got an iPhone.
However, don't get caught up in thinking that buying it with the machine is the only way to save $30. Amazon has it regularly for about $30 off (price fluctuates almost daily), and you can just enter the code you get to your (trial or current) mobileme subscription to extend your membership by a year. This means you can decide later, and can also use this method for renewals.
I'm about to pull the plug on a new mac too. Currently obsessing over anti-glare versus glossy...
Are you still doing Komodo this summer? We are on the mid-November trip.
Linda
-
I've used mobileme to upload trip photos and create galleries. It's easy and fast, but the image quality's not that great. At $99/yr, I'm looking into other options (Smugmug, etc.)
Phil
-
Hi Mike,
I use it as a convenient method for syncing data (contacts, calendar, Omnifocus, etc) between my computers and iphone, though there are other ways to do this. I also like the idea of the "Find my iPhone", though I hope I'll never have to use it. Some of this only became more compelling when I got an iPhone.
However, don't get caught up in thinking that buying it with the machine is the only way to save $30. Amazon has it regularly for about $30 off (price fluctuates almost daily), and you can just enter the code you get to your (trial or current) mobileme subscription to extend your membership by a year. This means you can decide later, and can also use this method for renewals.
I'm about to pull the plug on a new mac too. Currently obsessing over anti-glare versus glossy...
Are you still doing Komodo this summer? We are on the mid-November trip.
Linda
Hi Linda,
Thanks for the tip on the pricing. May be best to punt on it for now, though I may wander by the Apple Store and have them give me a test drive over lunch. I need to better understand how much it can synch and to where. I currently host my own galleries and use JAlbum to generate them. Can also use my webspace to share documents via ftp but it is "manual".
I am not going to Komodo. I am now getting married in November and we are going to go to Bali and do the late-November trip as a honeymoon.
Glossy vs. not isn't an issue for me because I'll most likely be getting the 13" MBP. Can always stick one of those after-market anti-glare things on it if it gets annoying, I guess.
Mike
-
Hi Linda,
Thanks for the tip on the pricing. May be best to punt on it for now, though I may wander by the Apple Store and have them give me a test drive over lunch. I need to better understand how much it can synch and to where. I currently host my own galleries and use JAlbum to generate them. Can also use my webspace to share documents via ftp but it is "manual".
I am not going to Komodo. I am now getting married in November and we are going to go to Bali and do the late-November trip as a honeymoon.
Glossy vs. not isn't an issue for me because I'll most likely be getting the 13" MBP. Can always stick one of those after-market anti-glare things on it if it gets annoying, I guess.
Mike
Congratulations! Bali and R4 should make for a wonderful honeymoon! It's too bad we won't be on the same trip with you. We'll be in Lembeh as you sail away on the Ondina. Have a great time with your new bride.
I waffled for a long time about MobileMe, since I also host my galleries and website elsewhere. I've tried to set up my own syncing stuff for Omnifocus from my website using webdav, but have not managed to get the config to work yet. So I started using MobileMe as a stopgap in the meantime, but it is spendy if you only use a subset of the features. If you are only syncing calendar, contacts, etc, there are alternatives. Syncing can be tricky to do right (and discouraging when it goes wrong), so I try to keep it simple. For documents, files, etc, I just use dropbox rather than idisk.
Linda
-
Find My Phone!
That feature alone is worth the $99. (am I the only one who leaves their phone laying around?)(oh, wait, i guess that Apple engineer who left his 4G iPhone prototype on the bar stool could've used this feature too...:-)
Sync contacts and calendars without having to hookup USB. Combined with publishing calendars, I can be out somewhere and make a change to my calender, and it gets updated on on my mac at home and on my girlfriend's phone without me having to think about it. Priceless.
iDisk is ok, but not big enough to back up anything other than docs.
-
Mobile Me (previously .mac) just works. I routinely use it to sync my laptop, iPhone, home desktop and work computers so at least for iCal, Contacts etc they are all identical. Other non-Apple programs I use like Yohimbine (small database) and MacJournal also synch this way through Mobile Me. Although I do not use it for photo storage or my website, I know folks who do, and occasionaly if somoene wants to see some pics I can upload a webpage from Aperture or iPhoto and send them the link.
-
. . . I am not going to Komodo. I am now getting married in November and we are going to go to Bali and do the late-November trip as a honeymoon. . .
I know absolutely nothing about MobileMe, but CONGRATULATIONS, Mike! I guess this means you and I won't be roommates on any future trips, eh?
