Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam 7d lens choice

Started by Don in Colorado ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam 7d lens choice

7 posts
  1. If you were just taking non-posed snapshots of your dive buddy, which lens choice do you feel is best. Diver would probaly be 4 - 12 feet away. (Yes I know, get closer, but these are just casual snapshops, no modeling. )

     

    Tokina 10-17

    Tokina 10-17 with 1.4 teleconvertor.

    Canon 10-22

    Sigma 17-70

    other

     

    Thanks for your help and comments.

     

    Don

  2. That would depend on the size of your dive buddy....assuming average Height and Girth, I would guess 10-22 or 17-70.

  3. If you were just taking non-posed snapshots of your dive buddy, which lens choice do you feel is best. Diver would probaly be 4 - 12 feet away. (Yes I know, get closer, but these are just casual snapshops, no modeling. )

     

    Tokina 10-17

    Tokina 10-17 with 1.4 teleconvertor.

    Canon 10-22

    Sigma 17-70

    other

     

    Thanks for your help and comments.

     

    Don

     

    Depends on water visibility. Here in So Ca temperate waters I would use the Tok 10-17 (without 1.4 TC) and in cleaner tropical waters I may opt for the Sigma 17-70.

     

    But I would advise you to get much closer whenever you can, something like 2-3 feet especially if you are going to use a strobe for lighting.

     

    Bo

    Edited by fotoscubo714
  4. It depends on zoom gear availability too. :lol: Not all those options currently have zoom gears available (though I'm told they will be available soon).

  5. Thanks for the comments. I am a little afraid of the Tokina 10-17, as being too wide of lens for my needs.

     

    I see Gudge also uses a Tokina 12-24.

     

    I have used a 12-24 Nikon lens with a Nikon D200 / Ikelite combo, and was pretty pleased with it for non-posed shots.

     

    So my question to Gudge ( or others ), is the 12-24 Tokina satisfactory in a Nauticam 7D for non-posed diver shots ?

     

    Thanks again,

     

    Don

    Edited by Don in Colorado
  6. I see Gudge also uses a Tokina 12-24.
    Rarely used underwater since I got the 10-17 and never with the 7D in the Nauticam

     

    So my question to Gudge ( or others ), is the 12-24 Tokina satisfactory in a Nauticam 7D for non-posed diver shots ?
    No zoom gear available yet (but is listed on Canon Port Chart), I'll give it a go and tell you how it goes when a zoom gear becomes available. However, don't hold your breath, my priority order for getting zoom gears is Tokina 10-17 on a 1.4X teleconverter, Sigma 17-70 and then Tokina 12-24 when they become available.

     

    The 12-24 and 17-70 worked fine for the diver shots you're after with my 20D/40D/50D in Subal housings and I'm using the same Subal extensions and ports for those lenses with my Nauticam.

    Edited by Gudge
  7. Thanks Gudge. Very good info.

     

    I'll have to check gear availability.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.