Strobes triggered optically from an Ikelite housing?
Started by oskar ·
6Posts
6Replies
Read-only discussion
Strobes triggered optically from an Ikelite housing?
6 posts
I'm looking at buying a used Ikelite housing. Is it possible to flip up the internal flash on, say a Canon 40D or 500D in an Ikelite housing enough to be able to trigger my Sea&sea YS110 flashes via a fibre?
The alternatively I have to get the electrical cable for it, or buy new Ikelite flashes.
Cheers
O
From what I have heard the Canon will fire the flash if it is not "popped up" all the way so it may work. I think there are a few people on here who have tried it.
Cheers
James
On my Ikelite D90 housing the flash will open,
but just not enough to fire...
It may be the same with the housings for Canon DSLR's.
Try to post the question here in the Ikelite manufacturer forum.
Best regards
Chris
With my 40d it would fire but not reliably as in it would sometimes turn off after a couple of flashes. Another person in another thread say they had made it work reliably. Dont know about the 500D
So the tolerances are pretty marginal Id say.
Otara
There's some kind of little switch/sensor in the popup flash that you can fiddle with to make it fire even when not fully deployed. Do a google search or a search here.
Cheers
James
Good tip, now i hope that i can find the switch/sensor and that it's acessible without opening the camera...