Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

7D Overcranking Example

Started by SimonSpear ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

7D Overcranking Example

4 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    Well I just got back from a non diving trip, but it gave me a chance to play around with the overcranking ability of the 7D. I was pretty impressed and although the 7D can be a pain in the backside for filming the more I use it topside the more I'm actually looking forward to getting it into the water. Everything was shot hand held using a 50mm Prime f1.8 lens, recorded at 720p50 then conformed to 25p with Cinema Tools. Nothing else has been touched so it is basically straight out of the camera. The (sometimes) willing model was our 18month old daughter Gracie. :)

     

  2. The (sometimes) willing model was our 18month old daughter Gracie. :)

     

     

    Great shots there Simon, and your model is truly wonderful and can carry any video you shoot with ease. ;)

  3. Well we're biased obviously Drew, but yeah we think she is great! It's funny but she already knows exactly how to get around me. It's just hard wired into them I think! :)

     

    As for the overcranking, well it will be interesting to see how it performs underwater. I think in the right circumstances it could be an amazing effect to have at your disposal. Of course the danger is that it is overused, which I could easily see happening.

     

    I should just add that the shutter speed used was 100. I wanted to use 50, but for some reason the camera would only go down as far as 60 which is no good for PAL settings. Still 100 worked ok I think and there is still a bit in reserve if you want to slow down a bit more in post.

     

    Cheers, Simon

    Edited by SimonSpear
  4. thanks for posting Simon. Very cute.

    a big attraction of the 7D for sure.

    I agree about the possible overuse, but what a tried and true way to make 1 minute of action into 2 minutes of video :)

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.