Greetings,
I'm still very much a newbie to underwater photography, and have been reading lots, but am now chasing advice on specific cameras. When I first started taking photos underwater (only a few months ago), I decided to go with a very basic setup to see if I enjoyed it, and as such didn't want to spend much money. So I bought the Intova SP8 and housing for it. Now I find myself with a little more spare time to go diving and being more critical of my photos, and want to upgrade. The problem with what I have is now is that it lacks the ability to change many settings, so the photos are coming out incredibly grainy. And the lag is driving me absolutely bats*** insane. I'd like to upgrade to another point and shoot setup rather than buying the gear to house my SLR at this point. I need something compact camera-wise, as the camera will need to be used on land as well and will have to fit into a shirt pocket.
I'm familiar with how point and shoots go on land, but not so sure how they go underwater. Are any better than others at dealing with underwater conditions? Obviously I'd like something that would allow much more control over the settings and that doesn't suffer from bad shutter lag. I don't have a set budget for this, so would like to hear all suggestions regarding cameras/housings/lighting that might be suitable for an underwater photography beginner.
Many thanks for any advice!