Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Editing software: $100 vs $500 vs $1000?

Started by BC-SeaDragon ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Editing software: $100 vs $500 vs $1000?

7 posts
  1. Hi there,

     

    Being a rookie with editing where does the difference come in with software that is 100$ program vs. 500 vs 1000???

     

    I just make personal videos of dive trips and so on but just curious when the need in a software upgrade becomes evident?

     

    Cheers

     

    Kelly

  2. I split this off of the other topic because it wasn't related.

  3. Thanks Eirc,

     

    I realized after I replied that it was on the wrong thread!!!

     

    Cheers for the fix up!!!

  4. I just make personal videos of dive trips and so on but just curious when the need in a software upgrade becomes evident?

     

    The answer is when you feel you have outgrown it or are limited. (Not trying to be flippant in that remark at all, when you look at what you make and start saying more and more "I wish I can do this" the chances are there is something that can help reach that goal, but you can go a long way starting with basic/less expensive packages.) Not sure if you are on a Mac or PC, but on the Mac side of things there are the iLife Apps, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto etc. They are all powerful little applications that can do alot, and more features have been added to each one to help with work flow and what you can accomplish. I have the Final Cut Studio and all the Adobe software, but the little apps are still impressive in their own right. I have put edits and movies together using iMovie. For personal things they can be more than fine. But at some point wanting to get further into color corrections/more control, more special effects/compositing, perhaps an easier workflow and more options the other software may become more appealing. Keep in mind though that a critical part is getting good footage to begin with, requires less work in post.

     

    It will be similar to when you move from a P&S to a dSLR or a newer video rig or faster computer when what you envision is being slowed down, or not possible (or possible with more effort) that switching over makes sense. Some things may require more expensive software (some codecs, RED footage, dSLR and so forth). Which camera are you shooting and on what system are you editing?

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  5. The answer is when you feel you have outgrown it or are limited. (Not trying to be flippant in that remark at all, when you look at what you make and start saying more and more "I wish I can do this" the chances are there is something that can help reach that goal, but you can go a long way starting with basic/less expensive packages.) Not sure if you are on a Mac or PC, but on the Mac side of things there are the iLife Apps, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto etc. They are all powerful little applications that can do alot, and more features have been added to each one to help with work flow and what you can accomplish. I have the Final Cut Studio and all the Adobe software, but the little apps are still impressive in their own right. I have put edits and movies together using iMovie. For personal things they can be more than fine. But at some point wanting to get further into color corrections/more control, more special effects/compositing, perhaps an easier workflow and more options the other software may become more appealing. Keep in mind though that a critical part is getting good footage to begin with, requires less work in post.

     

    It will be similar to when you move from a P&S to a dSLR or a newer video rig or faster computer when what you envision is being slowed down, or not possible (or possible with more effort) that switching over makes sense. Some things may require more expensive software (some codecs, RED footage, dSLR and so forth). Which camera are you shooting and on what system are you editing?

     

    Thanks for the reply,

     

    All of my previous experience was using IMovie and yes for the most part it was all that was needed. However, this was striclty a travelling job and the rig nor computer was mine. I have just purchased a new Sony XR-500 with the new L&M G2+ housing and sunray 1200's which I am very anxious to try after coming across a very poor review with regard to the MWB yesterday...YIKES!! I am using a PC but have yet to purchase any software for it due to this topic starter. I totally agree that getting the best quality shots in the water will make editing that much easier in the end. For the most part I try to keep my vids simple and to the point but there are always effects that can add a little charachter to the beggining and end. Color correction is something I have never used in post production but I am sure it can come in very handy in certain situations and is an effect I would like to have available.

     

    For the most part I dont want to buy a software program and short hand myself right off the bat. Of course this is the type of thing that keeps evolving day by day and there will always be need or desire for some sort of upgrade.

     

    Any suggestions on a mid grade quality pc software that doesn't blow the bank but also doesnt limit a guy too much?

     

    Thanks for the help!

  6. An important consideration when matching a new NLE to a new camcorder which uses the H.264/AVCHD codec is whether the NLE can handle the bit rate of the AVCHD in the particular camera.

     

    The Sony XR-500 has a relatively low max bit rate of 16 mbps...so most NLEs should be able to handle it for at least one stream on the time-line.

     

    Other cameras from Canon and Panasonic have bit rates up to 28 mbps. So far, I think only pro level NLE's like EDIUS 5.5 and Premier Pro CS5 can handle that comfortably...that's what you'd pay the extra for.

  7. Its not a matter of just keeping things simple but it is also in having all the other tools so that you can compress your video and make a decent DVD. This is why suites from Apple, Final Cut Studio or from Adobe's Production package come with several applications so you can go straight from the NLE app to an encoding app to a DVD production app. I use Final Cut Studio which actually has gone down in price but Adobe has what you need as well.

    Steve

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.