Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olyumpus C-750Z For Scuba ?

Started by Jola ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Olyumpus C-750Z For Scuba ?

8 posts
  1. I've just had the misfortune of having a newish C-5050z, and a brand new (never been used) PT-015, plus a HP IPAQ 2210, a number of large memory cards and three Aladin dive computers, as well as a few other expensive items stolen. Insurance won't pay.

     

    I now have to downsize a bit and was wondering how the C-750z and PT-018 worked for u/w photography.

     

    The benefit is that the camera is relatively cheap, and with the large zoom is also useful for bird and wildlife photography, as well as candids.

     

    Clearly there are a number of disadvantages compared to the C-5050z, but I want to keep costs down at this point.

     

    Any views on this?

  2. I think that the 10X zoom would be absolutely wonderful for surfing photography, birding, etc.

     

    I'm thinking of getting it to use for stage photography.

     

    Why won't your insurance pay? What company's policy do you have?

  3. A couple of thoughts ...

     

    Not sure, but I seem to recall that this camera has no manual white balance function. If you're planning to use ambient light underwater that's a significant limitation (if true).

     

    And I also seem to recall that it doesn't have full manual control (aperture and shutter speed) either which would be a big drawback if you're planning to use an external strobe.

     

    Can't tell from the specs I have seen, but I think I saw somebody mention once that on this camera the position of the front of the lens changes accordign to the zoom. That might cause vignetting at the wider settings if the camera is housed.

     

     

    I could be wrong about the spec for this camera, but it's worth checking before investing.

     

    -David

  4. It's a long story regarding the insurance company but at the end of the day they misled me with inaccurate information. But there is nothing that I can do about it except to take my business elsewhere.

     

    I have checked the Olympus C-750Z, it does have Full Manual, and also has Manual White Balance. I don't know about the vignetting, anybody have input about this?

     

    I'm also not crazy about the idea of spending good cash on xD cards.

     

    Pity Olympus didn't bring out a revamp of the 5050 (new ED lens with less CA, and left everything the same). I don't like the 5060, especially not the proprietary battery.

  5. It's true, no manual WB on C-750Z. Better to save your pennies for the C-5060 when it finally gets out. Played with it at DEMA, very responsive and less shutter lag compared to C-5050, plus 28mm wide lens and Microdrive compatible.

     

    Doug

  6. Sorry I stand corrected. C-750Z (Ultra Zoom?) has full manual WB with "one touch" option.

     

    Doug

  7. Doug, I think that you are correct, however. The 5060 should be much better than the 750 even though it will be more expensive.

     

    I am interested in your comments about the shutter lag on the 5060. Do you really think that it is much better than the 5050 ? I used to have a 5050 so am familiar with the shutter lag on that.

     

    I must say that I dislike the proprietary Li-Ion battery on the 5060. Granted, it will last slightly longer than a set of good AA's, but it will be expensive and where I dive there are no facilities to charge these things.

     

    I used to have lots of AA's for my 5050 and could also charge them in the car. So from my point of view the Li-Ion batteries are a major backwards step.

  8. Jola,

     

    My only experience with the C-5060 was a hands on at DEMA, but we use Stylus 400's and C-5050's in rental, and I shoot with a Nikon Cp-5000. Yes shutter lag was noticably less. The nicad issue doesn't bother me, our battery chagers are 50' from the boat dock so I can get off the morning 2-tank dive, change nicads and Xd cards and be ready for the afternoon 2-tank with time to spare.

     

    Good Luck with your options,

     

    Doug

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.