Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Slug ID help

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Slug ID help

7 posts
  1. I took this small slug yesterday and don't have a Scooby about the ID?

     

    post-713-1272975068.jpg

     

    It was very small - possibly a youngster. Taken in Cornwall, UK.

     

    Alex

  2. I took this small slug yesterday and don't have a Scooby about the ID?

     

    post-713-1272975068.jpg

     

    It was very small - possibly a youngster. Taken in Cornwall, UK.

     

    Alex

     

     

    Hi Alex

     

    Its tricky as the dorsal processes are not very clear (I appreciate it was small). Possibly Okenia aspersa. Might be worth forwarding pic to Bernard Picton.

     

    Cheers

     

    Colin

  3. I'd say definitely Okenia aspersa.

  4. Thanks guys. Good to see you last week, Colin. I am guessing that this easterly has ruined the viz there now.

     

    Alex

  5. Thanks guys. Good to see you last week, Colin. I am guessing that this easterly has ruined the viz there now.

     

    Alex

     

     

    Hi Alex

     

    Pretty sure it has. I managed to get in a couple of days later and this time find a few cuttles that were perfoming. High water was that much later and this vis was about half of what it had been on the day you were there even though there was only a touch of easterly (SSE) in the wind.

     

    The link has a pic (top) from the first day when the vis was good but the cuttles just didn't want to hang around, next one down was two days later. Better behaviour but crap vis.

    Pic of the week

     

    If you are still in the area then Brixham breakwater is sheltered from the northerlies blowing now. Used to be good for cuttles, and fishermen are still setting traps there. The seagrass has disappeared in recent years and the amount of Sargassum has also declined so not so much for them to attach their eggs to any more but I'm sure there's probably a few around.

     

    Colin

  6. Okenia pulchella, perhaps? Debelius' book used as a reference...

     

    Wendy

  7. It does look like Bernard's photo of Okenia aspersa in his Nudibranch Field Guide. Quote: "records or this species are few..." so he'll probably be interested in it - I'll email him the link.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.