Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

iPad Photo workflow

Started by ehanauer ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

iPad Photo workflow

7 posts
  1. Today I set out to find out whether the iPad is a realistic tool for serious photographers. A pair of warbirds, a B17 and a B24 were on display at Palomar Airport. I shot around 85 images with my D300.

     

    When I got home, I uploaded them to the iPad using Apple's photo attachment. Ingesting 80 some raw images worked flawlessly, in about the same amount of time it takes to do it on a computer. Viewing them full screen, I trashed the bad ones. There were four that were salvageable despite exposure problems. To process them, I used Photogene, a $2 processing app. There is a Photoshop Lite available, but Photogene offers real world processing, including white balance, exposure, levels, and curves. It's not Lightroom, but for a quick and dirty look at what basic processing can do for an image, it's fine. And it doesn't affect the original. If you want to save the changes, it saves a copy. But the real processing will be done later in the computer, on Lightroom.

     

    At this point I had edited the shoot down to around 40 images. If I were on the road, I could live with that. But I had read that the iPad down rezzes the images, so to find out, I exported them directly into Lightroom. There they were, in all their raw glory, with all the metadata intact. Don't believe everything you read.

     

    In Lightroom I was able to make side by side comparisons, and do more sophisticated processing. In a pinch, that could wait till I get home.

     

    So my conclusion is that the iPad is a viable photo editing/storage tool, and it won't lose any data, or metadata, on raw images. I'll still be schlepping my laptop along, but along with its other functions, the iPad is now an integral part of my travel kit.

  2. Great to hear; my wife may be missing her iPad soon

  3. As I mentioned, went to Catalina this weekend. As above the camera connection kit worked well and fairly quickly. Tried it with 5 different cameras.

     

    Nice for review the photos and showing them off.

  4. An alternative (although not necessarily a better one) to plugging directly into the camera is to use a USB utility to transfer files from laptop to iPad. I'm using GoodReader, which lets you copy files back and forth by just dragging them. My only big gripe is that, due to Apple restrictions apparently, you can't drag/copy folders - only files - so you have to select all of the files in a folder, copy them over, and then put them into a folder after they're on the iPad. Nevertheless, it works, and will allow me to back up all of my RAW files to one folder, then all of the JPGs to another to view (shooting RAW+JPG).

     

    I knew I'd be glad I got the 64gb model... :)

    Edited by bmyates
  5. Its great news to hear there are already RAW processing apps on the ipad. Is the RAW processed with an *.xmp sidecar file that can be read by LR or PS after transferring over??? Or would you need to re-edit once on the computer??

     

    All we need now is a basic version of LR whose catalog can be synced with the computer later. Though I'll take a basic Aperture, assuming it can write *.xmp files that LR can read.

     

    I'll also take full tethered shooting for topside work - there already exists a Camera Control app for the iphone, but needs a laptop tethered directly to the camera to work. I'm hoping the ipad could replace the laptop in this scheme.

     

    Then get a custom USB connection through the spare bulkhead on my housing and have the ipad as a liveview monitor for the polecam.......... hahaha crazy schemes 'a bubblin.....

  6. I knew I'd be glad I got the 64gb model...

     

    My last trip to Indonesia resulted in 125gb of images and video off the 7D.

  7. My last trip to Indonesia resulted in 125gb of images and video off the 7D.

    All keepers eh! :)

    Guess that means you have to buy two.

    Edited by loftus
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.