Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam viewfinder and Ikelite 7d Housing warning

Started by Otara ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam viewfinder and Ikelite 7d Housing warning

7 posts
  1. Just a warning to people this currently wont work as a combination, the video/liveview knob/switch blocks it. Im just putting this up because is such a current model and theres a fair chance someone else might be considering it.

     

    It _only_ applies to the 7d housing (dagnabit), and I couldn't see any other Ikelite pictures on their site where it might also occur and will fit on to the 40d/50d housing no probs.

     

    To fix it you'd have to machine a new lower profile control knob or the like, and thats only a theory - I didnt try it as I had visions of insurance issues in the future, but it looked like it might be possible. Another possibility might be an increased spacer made by Nauticam, but given they dont seem to be even aware of it yet, it could be a while before one turns up and I cant see how it could really be done without adding in another leak possibility.

     

    I dont think this is anyones fault and Peter Mooney from Scubapix has been great with all of this and offered a wealth of options to help, it just the joy of combining systems that turns up from time to time and getting to occasionally be the guinea pig.

     

    The good news is my solution has been to get a Nauticam housing, thanks to a very understanding partner and Peter, but not everyone will have that as an option!

     

    Otara

  2. LOL, if at first you don't succeed try again. Meg must be just a little suspicious that it was all part of your diabolical and convoluted plan to acquire the 'Precious' :)

     

    Congratulations, I think you're going to like having the Optical connections too. I hope I don't have any issues coupling the Naticam to my Nexus D90.

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  3. The good news is my solution has been to get a Nauticam housing, thanks to a very understanding partner and Peter, but not everyone will have that as an option!

     

    Otara

     

    Love your solution. :-)

     

    cheers

     

    Eleanor

  4. I like your solution, but could you just install the viewfinder upsidedown ?

  5. No, tried all that at the time, in the hope I was missing something.

     

    It just hit the other dial instead, theres one on each side of the VF, the other is the on-off button. You could forget about that in theory if you could plug it instead I guess.

     

    But it would have blocked the rear screen for info, playback, video and liveview, as well as reducing your maximum angle for bottom photography. I think it covered the right hand buttons a fair bit too. So less than ideal.

     

    I could almost get it on at about 45 degrees but given the VF's are both rectangles wasnt much help, and it still ended up with a button in the way somewhere, so it could almost fit but not quite.

     

    New rig arrived today, and works perfectly now. Cant beat that for speed! V. impressed with the port adapters, only thing I have to wait on is the 10-17mm zoom gear.

     

    Otara

  6. what about the inon 45 deg. viewfinder? does it have the same problem or us it possible to install it on the ikelite for 7D?

  7. what about the inon 45 deg. viewfinder? does it have the same problem or us it possible to install it on the ikelite for 7D?

     

    Anyone knows if you can fit it on the ikelite 5d mk2?

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.