Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

CS5 and DSLR video files

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

CS5 and DSLR video files

6 posts
  1. Heads up, after all the marketing around the new CS5 Premiere Pro's ability to handle files from the MKII, 7D and Nikon video our friends at Adobe have seen fit to exclude the sequence presets from the 30 day trial version which is up now for download. Here is what you'll find after digging through the numerous explanation sites for the new software.

     

    The following Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 features are excluded from the trial version. These features become active when you serialize (purchase) your installation.

     

    Sequence presets

     

    AVCHD

     

    Canon XF MPEG2

     

    Digital SLR (This is the folder we need)

     

    HDV

     

    Red R3D

     

    XDCAM EX

     

    XDCAM HD

     

    XDCAM HD422

     

    AVC-Intra presets

     

    1080i

     

    1080p

     

    720p

     

    AV-I 100

     

    MPEG2 importers/exporters

     

    Edit modes

     

    AVC-Intra 100

     

    AVCHD

     

    HDV

     

    Red Cinema

     

    Sony XDCAM

     

    Actual page is here

     

    Aside from the obvious question of :) "What in God's name were they thinking" :) Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out what these sequence settings should be to try out the software. All I'm trying to do is import 7D files to see if the program's new processing engine and my machine will really handle the workflow. Is there another way that the sequence presets can be setup?

     

    Any help appreciated,

    Steve

     

  2. Way to go Adobe, always looking out for your customers!

  3. Ash,

    Check the page, those features are excluded from the trial version. Stupid idea on their part but once you have the full version those features will be included. They have sent me the Master Collection for review but I really only install AE, Photoshop and Illustrator. I will be doing the install over the weekend. I'd be happy to give you CS5 Premier Pro if you want it. It is the Mac version however. For that matter, not sure what version you are currently using but I will have the whole CS4 Master Suite to give out.

    Steve

    Edited by steve
  4. I've been using Premiere Pro Cs5 for editing Canon 7D raw files and it's works great. By great I mean it allows you to edit Canon h.264 files in a MOV container. I haven't tried 720p60 yet but I've seen reviews and it's working nicely.

     

    I've been eding 1080p25 files with no issues at all. No need to transcode and they playback perfectly fine in the editor. I'm using a 15" Macbook Pro (3ghz, 8gb RAM, 7200 rpm drive, snowleapoard). I've got the dual nvidia card but annoyingly it's not compatible with the mercury playback engine (so all decoding is software/cpu based).

     

    Also, steve's correct with his comment about the DSLR presets. A nice way around this is not to bother creating a sequence when you start your project. Instead drag a clip onto the "new" icon in the project explorer. By default it'll create you a new sequence and infer the setting from the clip.

     

    I plan on installing the full CS5 suite tonight. If I have any issues I'll post them here.

  5. Also, steve's correct with his comment about the DSLR presets. A nice way around this is not to bother creating a sequence when you start your project. Instead drag a clip onto the "new" icon in the project explorer. By default it'll create you a new sequence and infer the setting from the clip.

     

    Thanks for the clue Damien. I'll give it a try.

    Cheers,

     

    Edit_ Works great, you just drag a clip to the New Bin folder icon and it loads right up. Amazing, native 7D files without having to go to Compressor.

     

    Thanks Damien!

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  6. I've downloaded the CS5 Master Collection and had no problems. Use the 'Single Installer' as it is easier and you can always delete any of the apps you don't want later. Right now I have both CS4 and 5 installed and will delete CS4 as soon as I have covered all the CS5 apps.

    Steve

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.