Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Question about leak detector in Sea & Sea housing

Started by Snaphappy ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Question about leak detector in Sea & Sea housing

5 posts
  1. I shoot with a Canon 5D in a Sea & Sea 5D-DX housing.

    I was doing a shore dive yesterday and was frustrated when my strobes wouldn't fire. I quickly went to shore, opened the housing and fixed the problem by unplugging then replugging the connector into the hot shoe.

    I realize that this wasn't the wisest thing to do because I was dripping wet and a few drops of water got into my housing. Sure enough, the leak detector did what it was supposed to do and started flashing bright red.

    Luckily, the camera is fine and even though I've thoroughly dried the inside of the housing, the leak detector won't go off. I've tried removing the battery, but the light goes on again when I reinstall it. Is there a way to reset the leak detector? Thanks! Robyn

  2. I shoot with a Canon 5D in a Sea & Sea 5D-DX housing.

    I was doing a shore dive yesterday and was frustrated when my strobes wouldn't fire. I quickly went to shore, opened the housing and fixed the problem by unplugging then replugging the connector into the hot shoe.

    I realize that this wasn't the wisest thing to do because I was dripping wet and a few drops of water got into my housing. Sure enough, the leak detector did what it was supposed to do and started flashing bright red.

    Luckily, the camera is fine and even though I've thoroughly dried the inside of the housing, the leak detector won't go off. I've tried removing the battery, but the light goes on again when I reinstall it. Is there a way to reset the leak detector? Thanks! Robyn

     

    It will dry out(I'd keep the battery on and store in a dry place) Another thing, if you open the housing in an air conditioned area, due to condensation/humidity, the leak detector may come on too. Mine was not completely off on a recent liveboard trip, so naturally i was worried there's something wrong with it. It would dry overnight and then then next day would slightly come on again. Just make sure your o-rings are clean and don't apply too much silicon grease( I prefer to lick 'em and usually lubricate once before the dive trip; S&S O-rings are self lubricating anyway).

     

    Did you dive at the Pier down in Lauderdale? I had a partial leak there, so since then I take extra care of the O-rings.

  3. It will dry out(I'd keep the battery on and store in a dry place) Another thing, if you open the housing in an air conditioned area, due to condensation/humidity, the leak detector may come on too. Mine was not completely off on a recent liveboard trip, so naturally i was worried there's something wrong with it. It would dry overnight and then then next day would slightly come on again. Just make sure your o-rings are clean and don't apply too much silicon grease( I prefer to lick 'em and usually lubricate once before the dive trip; S&S O-rings are self lubricating anyway).

     

    Did you dive at the Pier down in Lauderdale? I had a partial leak there, so since then I take extra care of the O-rings.

     

    Thanks so much for the reply Blueline. I guess it just needs to dry out some more.

    I agree that it's not good to over-lubricate the o-rings. As long as they still appear shiny, I don't put additional lubricant on them.

    I was diving by the bridge at Phil Foster Park in West Palm Beach yesterday and I'm pretty sure that some water droplets got inside when I opened up the housing to solve my strobe problem. I'm going back in today and I'm going to test and retest the strobes to make sure they fire before I enter the water! :) Thanks again for the feedback. Robyn

  4. Hi Robyn,

     

    I posted on Wetpixel a few years ago about a problem with my leak detector. Although my leak detector didn't go off for the same reason, it wouldn't stop blinking once it started. The replies to my post gave some good information on leak detectors and ways of dealing with them when they seem to be "on" all the time

     

    Link to Post about Leak Detectors

     

    Hope that helps,

     

    Ellen

  5. Hi Robyn,

     

    I posted on Wetpixel a few years ago about a problem with my leak detector. Although my leak detector didn't go off for the same reason, it wouldn't stop blinking once it started. The replies to my post gave some good information on leak detectors and ways of dealing with them when they seem to be "on" all the time

     

    Link to Post about Leak Detectors

     

    Hope that helps,

     

    Ellen

     

    Thank you so much Ellen! Your link provided me with lots of great info and I appreciate it. :)

     

    I'll let you know what happens. Best Regards, Robyn

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.