Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

First images with D300

Started by TrimixDiver ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

First images with D300

10 posts
  1. I was anxious to hit the water today for a test dive of my first housed DSLR. My former camera was a Nikonos V, but I sold it about eight years ago and it felt great to be shooting underwater again. My flash sync cord hadn't yet arrived. Leaving the dive gear behind to shoot available light while snorkeling turned out to be a great idea. It was a much better way for me to become aquatinted with the camera without additional task loading dealing with gear and the overhead in the cave (plus I couldn't use my flash today). Fortunately I had a willing model to bring along. Here are some images from today. Out of all the images I shot, I wasn't completely satisfied with any of them. Lots to learn and relearn. I simply had a blast! Great to return to creating images underwater :)

     

    My rig is: Nikon D300, Tokina 10-17, S&S MDX 300 housing, S&S NX fisheye dome port. My flash is a single S&S 110a with UCLS arms (8" and 5"), but I haven't had the chance to use it yet and will be adding more light later.

     

    Location: Ginnie Springs, North Central Florida, near Little Devil and Devil's Cave system entrances.

     

    860218581_hXQwW-M.jpg

     

    860218422_NAJv2-M.jpg

     

    860218738_iKaxC-M.jpg

     

    860217539_3WXnd-M.jpg

     

    860218065_7zQ8n-M.jpg

  2. Congrats on getting a camera back in the water! I really like the way you can see the wake coming off your models head and shoulders. Looks like a shock wave.

     

    Very cool,

    Steve

  3. I wish I'd bought a D300 instead of the D700. I'm still using my pair of D200 because I think I get better quality for typical daylight/flash subjects thanks to the Sea & Sea optical port and the Tokina 10-17.

    Edited by John Bantin
  4. Great set of images for a first outing.

  5. Thanks for the compliments. Looking forward to getting out with the flash :-)

  6. I like the second one - unusual colors and a nice composition. Well done!

     

    Phil

  7. Nice, the tokina fisheye makes the eye look different.

     

    Jack

  8. Gotta love "the Eye"!

  9. Nice images, I like the last one!

  10. I like em'! Good to hear you have found the fun again :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.