Alright, I need help. I am not ashamed to say it but the different options, configurations, brands and decisions have me throughly baffled.
A little background on me: I am a professional photographer shooting photojournalistic and freelance work. I shoot all Nikon gear with a couple of D700's and 2.8 lenses from 24mm to 400mm. When I got into scuba about 2 years ago, my first concern was to learn the sport and become comfortable in the water. Now with about 100 dives I feel as though I can juggle both scuba and photography, so it is time to spend some money ; )
Obviously none of the gear that I currently have does me much good UW (yet).
So here is my primary concern: At this point in time I am hesitant to purchase a Nauticam, Sea & Sea or other aluminum housing for a D700. For two reasons, first is price…add in ports, strobes, arms, sync cables etc and this is a very expensive initial investment. But secondly and more practically the D700 is an aging camera and as much as I love Nikon they are slow to introduce their new cameras. I would like to make the jump to an aluminum or higher quality housing at the same time as purchasing a Nikon equivalent of the 5d mk II with video capability or something along those lines.
I have been in photography long enough to have learned the lesson about buying cheap gear so my first thought is "buy the best strobes and supporting material you can afford because the housing is always going to be the short-term investment whereas the lights and accessories will be much longer-lived items."
So right now I am looking at the following:
- Ikelite DS-160 or 161's (love the idea of having the LEDs onboard for video down the line but I am not sure if they are even practical)
- Inon Z-240's (love the size and the reviews they have been getting and the AA batteries and price)
- ULCS 5 x 8 arms, etc etc...
Now if I were to get a housing for my D700 it would be the Ikelite ($1500), add in a dome for $350, and the kicker is I would have to purchase a new lens as I don't have anything for UW WA work. I am looking at either the Tokina 10-17 or the Nikon 20mm. And this is where I begin to get a little lost -- do I purchase the 10-17 or the 20mm? Do I go with Ikelites multi system domes (or whatever they call them) or custom (per-lens) solutions? The next question is, if I spend a bunch of money on Ikelite domes and ports I am going to be stuck using those on Ikelite housings am I not? And if I purchase an Ikelite housing is it worth it to get the Ikelite strobes simply for the TTL capability, don't misunderstand me I am perfectly comfortable with manual strobes on land, though I am not sure if there is some reason I would not be UW. And finally, lets say I start with 1 strobe (I'd most likely have a second within 6 months), I would need to start with a single sync cable and then upgrade to a double y cable would I not?
So just thinking out-loud, if I add all this up (housing, lens, domes/ports) I am looking at about $2500 + the costs of lights arms etc.
Which gets me thinking. For the same cost as the Ikelite D700 housing I can buy a Canon S90 and a FIX S90 aluminum housing…which saves me the hassle of worrying about aging cameras, dome ports and cheap enclosures at least for now. About the only piece of equipment I would have to buy that would not work with a DSLR setup would be the tray for the FIX housing.
Any thoughts on this idea or any disadvantages? I am going to go play with a S90 to test out the various manual controls and the shutter lag to see if I could deal with it.
I know that I have put a lot of open-ended questions and thoughts out there but any ideas or thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated. I am particularly interested in any feedback on strobe choices.
Thanks for your help!
Ryan Gibbons