Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

"How To" Books for UW Photography

Started by DiverPam ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

"How To" Books for UW Photography

2 posts
  1. I have been trying to find a good "how to" book and/or tutorial for lightroom 2. So my question for everyone is ....what are the "how to" books you would not be without for UW photography.

     

    On my bookshelf...

    Adobe Photoshop for UW Photographers - by Jack and Sue Drafahl

    The Underwater Photographer - Martin Edge - 2nd and 4th editions

    Photoshop Elements - The Missing Manual (even though it is not UW specific)

     

    Plus... reading every copy of UWMag that comes out - b/c it has great tips on "how to."

     

    DiverPam

  2. Hi Pam,

    I'm not sure how I missed this, sorry for the late answer. :) There are two good books that I've found for Lightroom 2. Lightroom 2 for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby and The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 book by Martin Evening. Scott's approach is a little easier to get through the first time but I felt like there was more depth of understanding in Martin's approach. Both are very good. Remember that LR 3 will be out shortly. I would expect Scott Kelby's book for LR3 will follow. His book for CS5 is already listed on Amazon for Oct delivery.

     

    I have finally gotten through the "What the heck is this called" phase thanks to Martin Edge' books and have been rereading books more for inspiration. Currently on my bedside table;

     

    "Water Light Time" by David Doubilet

    "The Art of Diving" and "Reefs Revealed" by Alex Mustard (Photography in the first one is Alex's)

    "Howard Hall's Guide to Successful Underwater Photography" Came out in 1982, still one of the best books for me to review before heading out on a trip.

    "Light and Lighting for Digital Photography" and "The Photographers Eye" by Michael Freeman. The first is more of the how too category but I'm convinced one of the keys to the treasure is in there somewhere.

     

    I'm finding that most of what I need now for "how to" can also be found in videos on the web or DVD's like Doug Sloss's Photoshop CS4 for the Underwater Photorapher

     

    HTH,

    Steve

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.