Probably a stupid couple of questions about to follow. Ive got a video shot on a small point and shoot that I was thinking about editing. Are you able to adjust the White Balance and things like that on video as you would a raw file from a camera? Im off to Egypt in a few weeks time and was planning on shooting a few short clips for my web site but am looking for a suitable software package to try that will enable me to edit the footage. Its not going to be much just 20-30 seconds probably.
Any suggestions would be great!
Many thanks,
Mark
Any footage can be color corrected in post. The idea is to shoot it correctly the first time so that you have less work in post to do. You don't say whether you are on a Mac or PC or what your NLE budget is so it is hard to make a good recommendation.
Steve
Hi All,
Ive got a video shot on a small point and shoot that I was thinking about editing. Are you able to adjust the White Balance and things like that on video as you would a raw file from a camera?
Any suggestions would be great!
Many thanks,
Mark
To make things less complicated/variable you could perhaps try pre-setting your camera to "daylight" WB if possible. Then any necessary adjustments to color balance would be a bit easier in a NLE.
Just about all the NLE's will allow you to tweak the color and other parameters (brightness, contrast, gamma, etc) just as you would for a still photo. If you are not sure which NLE to use, download a few free Trials...this will help decide which one to settle with. TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress is a good one to start with if you are a PC user.
Thanks guys,
Yes im a pc user. I will bear that in mind for for future shots. The 1 clip I do have is not too far off as its a goby in the sand in Egypt so ambient light was good. Dont really have a budget, I tend to work from trial packages for things like that as it wont get a great deal of use, plenty of students in the family still so if I take to something I aught to be able to get a student licence cheaply....
I will take a look at TMPEG ive heard of that before. Is there any others worth looking at, presume Adobe have an offering?
Many thanks,
Mark
I will take a look at TMPEG ive heard of that before. Is there any others worth looking at, presume Adobe have an offering?
There's quite a few to choose from...but the more advanced (Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Edius) have quite a learning curve. Most also have a scaled down beginners version...eg Adobe Premiere Elements 8.
Ulead products are also worth looking at as a starting point. That's what I started with before moving on to Edius and Vegas.
Great thanks,
Turns out I have Adobe Premier as part of the Master Collection CS4 I have so I will have a play around with that.