Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Tips on getting published?

Started by pwick ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tips on getting published?

6 posts
  1. I have been doing underwater photography for the last 4 years as a hobby and have a personal goal of being published in a magazine. I have checked some of the popular Scuba Diving Magazines (Scuba Diving Magazine, Sport Diver, Alert Diver) and could not find any photo submission contacts.

     

    Does anyone have some tips on getting published or contacting publishers?

     

    What is the typical photo submission process? (website link or email attachment?)

     

    Should I set up a website to display my images?

     

    What are industry standard rates? (I'm not looking to make much money as this is a hobby/goal, but I do not want to screw the industry by offering free photos. I have already been asked to provide a photo free for a semi popular magazine.)

     

     

    Thanks

  2. Different magazines pay different rates, if you are talking dive mags then its not much. I used to do the article thing and got paid $45 per page, average 3 pages, not much when you are trying to cover film cost. But the key thing is DO NOT under value your work, if we all took this stand then $$ would be more reasonable. Im in a image lbrary and the general return is about $1 per image per year. Its even harder to fathom when publishers can get images for as little a $4.50.

    If it is more about seeing your work published and sharing experiences then go for it but there are only a few who can say they actually make a living out of it.

    The key thing is enjoy the ride.

  3. You probably need to read "Copyright issues, non payment' and get an idea what you could be getting into.

  4. You probably need to read "Copyright issues, non payment' and get an idea what you could be getting into.

     

    UWP number 51 has a feature all about copyright. The link is UWP mag download page

  5. (I'm not looking to make much money as this is a hobby/goal, but I do not want to screw the industry by offering free photos.

     

    Maybe contests are a better way for you to to get published without lessening the value of yours

    or anyone elses work....?

     

    Perhaps a regional (near you) publication ie: CA Diving News etc. They have a "my best photo" or

    something like that section.

     

    If your work is professional quality and you want to be considered such then maybe looking at a photo

    group such as http://editorialphoto.com would help lead you in that direction.

     

    I think most everyone receives some value from the recognition that they get when others "like"

    or publish their images. It makes you feel good. You seem to have a good sense of what's "right"

    by considering others in the industry. Commendable!

  6. Stand alone pictures rarely get published unless they are of a subject that nobody else has shot. It's a sad fact that as photography has got easier, it has become less valuable. I used to get paid several day's money for a single picture but now I knock out pictures at the rate of dozens a day for a fraction of my former daily rate. Times have changed.

    In my experience, diving magazines are more likely to buy a well-written article without pictures that pictures without a well-written article.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.