Like you needed an excuse!
The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic
Time to buy your European housing/strobe!
Started by Alex_Mustard ·
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
Time to buy your European housing/strobe!
-
-
Like you needed an excuse!
From what I read, if I wait, I'll really get a deal!

-
taking financial advice from me is not advised! -
Good point Alex and Jeff. But if I wait any longer my mutual funds won't be worth anything anyways!
Cheers
James
-
The prices were quick to rise when the dollar/euro value was low. Now that the equalibrium has shifted the other way, euro-housing prices are still high.
Reminds me of the way gasoline prices trend with oil.
Assuming an exchange rate of 1.50 US dollars/euro (Nov 2009) the $4500 I’d drop on a Subal housing would equate to 3000 euro.
Assuming an exchange rate of 1.23 US dollars/euro (May 2010) the $4500 I’d drop on a Subal housing would equate to 3650 euro.
Who profits? Depends on who sets the prices.
Perhaps I should arrange a trip to Austria. Does Subal have one of those fly-out, use it in Europe, then transport it home programs like BMW?
-Brad
-
D'oh! Just took delivery of a Subal for my Canon 7D. Sure is sweet, though

Phil
-
I've just gone through an interesting exercise in equipping a 7D system from scratch.
First, I looked at importing the body and suite of Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass from Japan - the Yen / £ killed that idea... Then I trawled the internet and found reasonable £ prices from grey importers who do not charge VAT (a 17.5% sales tax in the UK). Finally, I gave a local camera shop a call who gave me an unbeatable price for the whole caboodle (I get my VAT back though my business) and they are all guarranteed goods straight from legitimate importers along with good old fashioned local customer support.
And it was a real pleasure to support a local retailer :-)
-
D'oh! Just took delivery of a Subal for my Canon 7D. Sure is sweet, though

Phil
Good to hear you like it. I should have my Subal for 7D in a week or so.
I'm just waiting for Backscatter switch out the type 4 to a type 3 port adapter. I am also having them transfer my GS180 viewfinder from my 20D housing to the 7D housing.
-Brad
-
Congrats Brad! I did the swap out with my current GS180 as well. Heads up - the standard viewfinder that comes with your new CD7 may not fit onto your old 20D housing. A friend who upgraded from a 20D had this problem as did I coming from my 40D. May be worth a call to Backscatter to double check.
You'll love the 7D and the housing!
Phil
-
Like you needed an excuse!
Good point, Alex. Here's something I never thought I'd see in print:
SEACAM ON SALE!
Well, not really, but the exchange is making for good buying opportunities now. Take a Canon 5DMKII housing for example. A few months ago it was $5859 with the Euro exchange. Now we've been able to reduce it to $5103 based on current Euro to dollar valuation.
We're actually selling a lot of Seaflash 150 now as people lock in on the lower prices.
Obvious disclaimer that we are the North American distributor for Seacam, but more a statement on pricing on European goods and the concurrent disadvantages Europeans are having in their Florida Keys and Caribbean travel as their buying power is reduced.